Thursday, June 7, 2012

6/7/2012 She Whittles!

I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who whittles before now. I think its safe to say that whittling is a dying art. For those who are reading this and don’t have a clue what I’m talking about, whittling is the practice of carving wood into an object by repeatedly cutting small slices or pieces from it.


When we first arrived here and would drive in and out of the campground we would see Dawn, one of the seasonal booth attendants, sitting outside doing something with her hands. It wasn’t until Bob walked over to the water one day and saw what she was doing when he passed by did we know about her hobby.


Yes, Dawn whittles.


IMG_1919


Born and raised in (slower) lower Delaware she wanted to do everything her big brothers did when she was growing up. An admitted tomboy, Dawn could climb trees, ride the tractor, shoot, everything her brothers did but she followed her dad’s footsteps when it came to the whittling. She got her first knife when she was five. I asked her what she’s made so far and if she could bring me something to photograph for this post. She laughed and said, “The only thing I’ve made so far is sawdust.” Up until now she has just whittled the wood away. Recently she decided to actually make something. This first project? A Santa Claus.


IMG_1776


I can see it!


IMG_1779


Her hands are always working on it.


IMG_1775


I’ll keep up with Dawn this summer as she whittles the hours away with her trusty knife and block of wood.


IMG_1785


I hope you enjoyed this post about one of our co-workers.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

That's my Mama!!!