Tuesday, June 5, 2012

6/5/2012 ……and My Heart Melted

Talia. I haven’t seen Talia since she was four months old. She’s a big girl now and also a big sister. She turned two this past March and is just as cute as can be.


IMG_1889


My mom babysits for Talia every other Tuesday and then has her baby sister, Cassidy, on the other weeks.


When my nephew, Dusty, brings Talia over in the morning the day starts with a game of Hide and Seek. Mom sees them drive up and she hides somewhere in the house and Talia looks for her and a big fuss is made when she finds her. Well, it seems that Mom has hidden in the same place for several weeks now, in the kitchen on the far side of the stand alone refrigerator. Dusty even told her that she’s going to have to find a new place because Talia automatically runs to the kitchen now.


Today we changed that up a little. Mom stood on the back porch with door cracked so she could see in and I stood on the far side of the fridge. We heard the front door open and Dusty saying to Talia, “Go find Nana!” We listened as those little feet ran across the living room, through the dining room and hit the linoleum of the kitchen. She ran past the fridge, arms outstretched for the hug she was sure she was getting and STOPPED SHORT when she saw me instead. The look on her face was priceless! It took less than a second for it to register that she was looking at a stranger. She looked up at me and said, “Wrong Nana.” We three adults just lost it. She ran back to Dusty and hugged his leg.


The formal introductions then took place but she seemed a little leery of me. It took her a little while before she would stand near me and of course getting her say Snookie was a feat in itself. As best I could tell I am now officially Aunt Noot-knee.


After about a half hour of talking with my nephew he was ready to leave. I was standing in the kitchen ready to give him a hug when Talia came over and knelt on the floor in front of me. I didn’t pay any attention until she put her hands on both sides of my leg. I looked down to see what she was doing and darn if she didn’t kiss my leg where I had a skinned up knee from where I took a tumble a week before. My heart melted. This little girl kissed my boo-boo! At that moment I just fell in love with little brown eyed toddler.


She took an immediate liking to Uncle Bob and pulled out a book and just climbed up into his lap to have a story read to her while he sat on the front porch.


IMG_1872


Uncle Bob read book after book. Not whole books mind you, he’d get through a few pages and she’d lose interest.


IMG_1874


She started getting antsy so we took her to the playground across the street. It didn’t take long to figure out that she isn’t afraid of anything.


IMG_1896


IMG_1893


Our little Talia is so fearless that she has already gone off the diving board at her grandparent’s pool.


Our friend Cindy joined us for awhile and before we knew it our niece Brittany was there to pick Talia up to take her home.


I got to meet my new great niece, Cassidy, who is now six months old. I took pictures of her but don’t have a clue what happened to them. I have a feeling I deleted them by mistake. I’m sure I’ll see her again before summer is over.


Cindy and I went shopping for a little while but it was no shopping spree like last time.


Mom and I spent the rest of the day playing cards, cooking dinner and playing more cards. I think I created a monster in teaching her that game. No matter what we’re doing I am so thankful for this time with her and my dad.



1 comment:

LaVon Baker said...

Talia is so stinkin' cute!

I love the picture of your mom. So glad you are playing cards with her and enjoying this precious time.