Thursday, June 12, 2008

6/12/08 Our Ride to Telluride

It was a pretty day here in Colorado so we decided to make the most of it and take a ride to see the countryside. Our destination was Delores.

Before we left Bob took the camera out back to the pond to see if he could get some pictures of a red winged black bird that we see here all the time.

IMG_4021

IMG_4026

So off we go to Delores. We had no idea what was in this small town but that's half the adventure.

We passed lots of horses on the way. It seems all the homeowners had at least a couple. This is definitely horse country!

IMG_4033

I was just fascinated with the different shades of green.

IMG_4034

A going down the road picture.

IMG_4035

As you can see the mountains are still snow covered but let me tell you, its melting fast as this next picture shows. The water is just rushing.

IMG_4036

The scenery was just so pretty.

IMG_4038

IMG_4042

The aspen trees are just starting to leaf out.

IMG_4043

Delores turned out to be a one street town with very few businesses on it. I think we counted a post office, 2 cafes, 1 small theater, 2 bars, a hotel and a gift shop type place. We stopped at Colorado BBQ House for lunch.

IMG_4044

Inside we found the walls covered with metalwork from a local artist. I saw several pieces I liked but they were on the pricey side.

IMG_4045

IMG_4046

IMG_4047

We had BBQ sandwiches and fries for lunch and both of our meals were excellent!

After lunch and seeing all Delores had to offer we decided to keep going to Telluride. Ahh, Telluride, where the likes of Tom Cruise, Oprah Winfrey, Darryl Hannah and Jerry Seinfeld use the ski slopes and trendy restaurants/bars as their winter playground. We saw some spectacular homes while riding through but of course none of them had huge signs on the roofs saying "Tom and Katie live here".

More fantastic scenery.

IMG_4056

IMG_4058

I bet its tough living in one of these houses! I mean really,,,who would want this view? Who would want to live with a lake filled with trout in the backyard? Oh, OK, I WOULD! I WOULD! But only in the SUMMER!

IMG_4059

Or would you rather live in this valley? You can have the valley, too isolated for me.

IMG_4061

After confirming that Telluride is out of our price range we decided to head back. On the way I saw these elk. Bob didn't catch a glimpse of them so we turned around and went back to get a better look. I didn't realize just how B I G elk are! And to think I am one....an Elk that is, as in fraternal organization.

IMG_4064

On the way back we stopped at Priest Gulch Campground to check it out. Its a campground that has a river running through it. Actually its the Delores River.

To get to the other side you have to cross the wooden bridge on the right hand side of the picture. It must be sturdy because we saw some BIG 5th wheels and motorhomes when we crossed to the other side of the river for a look-see.

When I went into the office to ask if we could drive through I asked the owner, Frieda, if they used workampers. They do! I talked at length with her about this and she asked that I send her our resume which I will get sent to her ASAP. Bob and I would love to spend next summer here! There's trout in that water and that makes Bob a happy camper! They ask for 14 hours per couple for site and electric and WIFI. All other hours are paid IF we want to work extra hours, she said its the workampers choice. The campground has 91 sites, all good sized, half of them waterfront from the looks of it, all have a small yard of grass and a tree, a picnic table, a BBQ grill, and did I mention WIFI throughout the park? Oh yeah, we would love to spend the summer in Delores, Colorado!

LaVon, never fear, I have a dead tree photo for you. This one is so pretty its a shame it died.

IMG_4067

So this turned out to be a pretty great day! Beautiful scenery, good food, a possible workamping job for next summer, well its just doesn't get any better than this!

It looks like today could be the day the counter turns another thousand. Coming up on 27,000 hits. This still amazes me. You know what to do if its you.

3 comments:

LaVon Baker said...

I declare, some of your scenery pictures look like an artist just put down his brush and allows us to admire his finished work. Beautiful!
Great dead tree!!! It has such majesty of character. You did good, again.
I think that campsite needs a chaplain!! What's the elevation there???

Mrs. Monty said...

Hey guys: This park in Delores, CO looks really nice. That would be a wonderful place for the summer. By the way, thanks for your note on "noseeums". I told Jack I didn't think I would want to be there but I had never heard of such a thing.

Peggy & Bill said...

Beautiful pictures you have been posting! Would you be our tour guide sometime???
Looks like a nice place to workcamp! Good luck!