Tuesday, June 17, 2008

6/17/08 We're Back in Colorado!

We didn't get an early start as we had hoped. We only traveled about 170 miles today so it really didn't matter all that much I guess.

You see, a rig came in last night and parked next to us but was pulled so forward in the site that we didn't feel comfortable trying to get our 53 feet of truck and rig around him.

We didn't see any signs of life from their rig and we're just standing there waiting and waiting and then Bob figured out if we backed up and moved over further in our site that maybe, just maybe, we could get out without running into the motor home just across the street from us. So I stood outside and watched to make sure he didn't hit anything, yes, he trusted me to do that again, and he moved back and forth, back and forth trying to get into position to clear the other rigs in the park.

By this time I could see that the "neighbors" were up and about in their rig and they HAD to see what was going on but did they come out and offer to move back a few feet? NOOOOO! They weren't unhooked so it would not have been a problem to do so. Some people!

So Bob finally gets us in position and we're off!

Now we're going down the road and I'm taking notice that all the pretty scenery is on Bob's side of the road.

IMG_4123

Then I looked to my side..... I didn't even rate a cloud!

IMG_4124

When the Good Lord made this earth didn't He realize that the person in the passenger seat would be the one with the camera?

Once again, this was taken out Bob's window.

IMG_4125

So we finally we reached out destination, the Air Force Academy FamCamp.

IMG_4126

We'll spend two nights here. Its time for a day of rest. You can only be in the truck for so long day after day.

We were given a really nice pull through site which makes for easy set up. The daily rate here is $17.00 a night.

IMG_4129

After getting everything I do done in the setting up process I headed out for the commissary. The pantry was getting bare and freezer had next to nothing in it.

While I was gone Bob watched this squirrel feeding off the bird feeders our neighbors have up.

IMG_4133

What this little squirrel went through to get to the seed! I can only imagine what is going through the bird on the grounds mind! Click to enlarge the picture for a better look.

This bird, which I think is a type of blue jay, must just be beside himself watching the squirrel chow down. This squirrel has himself wrapped all around that feeder!

IMG_4134

A close up of what I think is a blue jay. Has a long neck doesn't it?

IMG_4138

I think I'm going to get some bird feeders like our neighbor has and a book so that I can identify what we're seeing.

I was sitting out at the picnic table this evening and watched a deer walk through our site. Just my luck the camera was inside.

I was kind of bored for awhile and had this idea that I would call LaVon, our great Quail Run friend. Our conversation went something like this:

LaVon: Hey girlfriend, it isn't Sunday, what's up? (We talk every Sunday evening)

ME: Oh LaVon, I have a problem and I really need to talk to someone.

LaVon: What's wrong Snookie?

ME: Oh LaVon, I just don't know what to do.

LaVon: Tell me what's wrong.

ME: LaVon, I said plaintively, "I don't know what to do". (At this point I didn't know she and Don were in the truck with another couple)

LaVon: With great concern in her voice...Snookie, tell me what happened.

ME: Nothing happened, but I noticed that my right arm is getting so much tanner than my left because I'm always in the passenger seat.

At this point it registered what I had said and she busted out laughing. She told her truck mates what I said because they only heard her side of the conversation and I could hear them laughing too.

Well, let me tell you, that was so much fun I decided to call DeAnn and do the same thing to her. BUT, when I got her on the phone the call was dropped after I said, "DeAnn, I have a problem and I really need to talk to someone.

She was in the car with Bruce and said to him, "I lost the call and something's wrong with Snookie".

It took us a few tries to connect because we were calling each other and the conversation went along just as it did when I was talking to LaVon.

When I told her about one arm being tanner than the other she too got a big laugh out of it and told me that I had better never do that again. Funny, LaVon said the same thing.

I probably would have tried this a few more times but LaVon put it on her blog and we have some of the same readers...oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to merge his
car onto the freeway.

2 comments:

LaVon Baker said...

Snookie Quinn!! One heart attack wasn't enough??? That DeAnn is a good egg... she appreciates a good prank. Remember that. ;-)

Peggy & Bill said...

Your sense of humor is priceless! You are such a tease!
We have the Bird Books. Bill used to have several feeders at home & had a few books plus my moms. I think that is a Steller's Jay. It is the western counterpart to blue jay, found from the western edge of the Great Plains, west. The picture in our book looks exactly like the one you took! Good Job!