Friday, June 6, 2008

6/6/08 Campground Shopping

When we got up this morning Bob asked me what I wanted to do. I replied, "Get a haircut!" So we made that the first order of business for us today. I had seen several salons on the way in and knew it wouldn't be a problem to get one. After thinking about it I told Bob to just pull into Walmart as I saw the sign saying they had Family Hair Care. With fuel prices the way they are I have to look at $30.00 for a haircut or $13.95. OK, so we go in and the first thing I see is one of the beauticians with horizontal stripes in her hair, alternating between pink, purple, green and black. Hmmm...my first thought was, How many miles back was Elsmerelda in the truck stop?" I said a quick prayer that this girl was going to be busy and I wouldn't even have to deal with her. Let me tell you, I would have had no problem telling her that if she didn't care about her own appearance she sure as heck wasn't going to fool with mine!" Did she really think she looked good? My luck was holding out as a perfectly normal looking young lady came to ask me if I wanted a cut. I was quite straightforward with what I wanted. How much I wanted taken off, I even held the ends of my hair between my fingers to show her how much. Can you tell I'm going somewhere with this? She looked like she was listening to me. I think I even heard her say uh-huh once or twice. So we proceeded. After the hair washing, I get in the chair, she combs it out, I tell her once more what I want and she snips the first bit of hair off. I watched it fall to the floor via the mirror but I couldn't see it once it landed. Snip, snip, snip, more falls to the floor. The scissors sound L O U D, like they are right next to my ear, much too close to be taking off the length of hair she SHOULD be cutting off. She turns the chair and I can't see the mirror anymore. My heart beats faster. OMG, what is she doing? I faked a cough so she would stop so I could gather my thoughts. I quickly thought that I was between a rock and hard place, she was a third of the way through cutting. I couldn't stop her now she had to finish and it had to be even all the way around. I resigned myself to accept that I was going to have to deal with a much shorter haircut than what I asked for. I hate when this happens! Ok, done with the scissors, she remembers that I asked to have my very thick hair thinned out with thinning shears. Oh dear...do I let her? Will I end up with wispy baby fine hair? I told to go ahead but that I wanted to check it as we went along. I know what it should feel like! She's done, there's a mound of hair on the floor that rivals Mount Everest! She blow dries it and that takes all of three and a half minutes since there is so little hair to dry! I'd like to know how she got "take two inches off" mixed up with, "just leave it two inches in length". Is this some form of beauticians dyslexia? Oh, and of course she didn't blow dry it the way I wear it. I got out to the truck where Bob was waiting and just looked at me with this look on his face. He only had to say, "Wow, she really chopped it off didn't she". I figure I won't be spending anymore money on haircuts until, oh let's say, 2010!

On our ride today we found that we like the area we are in,,,not the campground,,,the area. There is a lot to do here and even more to see. There are all kinds of lakes and ponds in the area so Bob will get some fishing in this week!

We can see these mountains from our campground site but they are too far to take a picture of. While out on the road today I got this one.

IMG_3886

In our travels today we found a campground that we both just fell in love with! We stopped and asked if they had any openings and the fellow just chuckled and said, "This isn't exactly our high season, we have plenty of open spaces". Bob and I took a ride through to see if we could pick out the perfect site for us. Number nine looks like it would work so we went back to the office to see if they would hold it for us until tomorrow. They will!

After finding a place to get our propane tank refilled we went back to the campground. Bob took notice of the field behind our rig and saw that it was filled with prairie dogs!

IMG_3895

IMG_3896

There were lots of babies and we spent a good amount of time watching them play their prairie dog games.

For some unknown reason I tried the computer again just for the heck of it and we could get online! I guess the big bus that was next to us yesterday was blocking the signal but now we have one. Its a low signal but we're online!

Moving day tomorrow!

3 comments:

LaVon Baker said...

Can't wait to see the new park. Was great chatting with you on the phone.... laughing with you.
"O great black bird soaring in gray sky."

BUD AND SHELLEY said...

budlight81547WELL I WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOUR HAIRCUT? DID SHE GIVE YOU THE OLD LADY HAIRCUT?
THATS WHAT I CALL THEM, REAL SHORT AND THE SAME AS EVERY OLDER WOMAN! OH WELL IT WELL GROW OUT FAST.

Anonymous said...

Snookie, Skip here. just wanted to tell you that we have started "almost" fulltiming. Your blog has been a big reason to try this. Ya'll make it sound like so much fun that we could not resist trying the lifestyle. Thank you for your inspriation. Here is our blog http://www.mytripjournal.com/skipandcindy