Tuesday, June 24, 2008

6/24/08 We Surprised Nancy

We got on the road pretty early this morning after putting away last minute things and getting hooked up to the truck. We're heading towards Wheatland, Wyoming.

A going down the road picture. Take note of the lack of traffic. This is what we saw the majority of the way. Open ranges, rolling countryside and an empty road in front of us.

IMG_4255

We finally made it into Wyoming. I almost missed the sign.

IMG_4236

We made it to Wheatland in no time at all so we decided to go drive further into Douglas. This would put us that much closer to Gillette where the Escapees Escapade is being held. our destination.

We pulled over so that I could get our campground book out of the rig so that I could find out if Douglas even had a campground. They have a KOA.

IMG_4240

It didn't take us long before we saw bison. (Click to enlarge)

IMG_4237

We passed this cowboy on horseback as we drove down the road.

IMG_4242

From this distance he looked real and then as we got up closer we could see it was a cutout made from some wood.

For some reason the road had turned from black to red.

IMG_4244

We saw our first antelope! I was so excited! Little did I know that these are a very common sight in this part of the country.

IMG_4247

I called the KOA in the area to see if they had a spot for us and we lucked out that they did. I don't care for KOA's because they have gotten so expensive and I was relieved to see a sign for a RV park that wasn't listed in the campground book we have. Since it was on the way to the KOA we decided to check it out, who knows it could be a spot for $20.00 a night versus the thirty plus we'll pay at the KOA.

So we pull into the Lone Tree RV Park. What a dump! I was overjoyed when the lady in the office said they only rent by the week or month. I wouldn't bury a flea ridden, mangy, dead dog in this place! Since there was no place to turn our fifty three feet of the truck and rig around we had no choice but drive through the park to get out. Oh my gosh, we couldn't get out of there fast enough. We will gladly pay thirty plus for the KOA tonight!

So two miles further down the road we pulled into the clean, well kept KOA. I went in to get us registered and as I was about to open the door it opened from the other side. The gentleman walking out looked at me and I looked at him and we both broke out in big smiles! It was George Reid from Quail Run! You may remember that he took me for the motorcycle ride a few months back. What a surprise to see him. While I registered he went out to talk with Bob. I made him promise that he wouldn't tell Nancy (Killer Reid) that he saw us, that I would come down after we got set up and surprise her.

We quickly set to task because I couldn't wait to see my Quail Run buddy, Nancy. Bob suggested I call her and tell her we were in Wheatland and then walk down and knock on the door. So I did. She said we weren't that far from Douglas only about 70 miles but I told her we were already set up and would see them on Thursday or Friday.

When I got to their place, about six sites down from ours, George was outside and motioned to me that she was in the house. I knocked on the door and waited for her to come answer it. When she got in the doorway I looked at her and said, "I lied." I think it took her a second for it to register who she was looking at because I just talked to her 15 minutes earlier and told her I was 70 miles away. When it all clicked she flew out the door and we greeted each other with a big hug and lots of smiles.

Bob came down shortly after and the four of us sat at their picnic table admiring the view they had from their rig and getting caught up with each others adventures since we left Quail Run.

All too soon it was time to get back to our rig to get dinner made and we agreed we would see them after we ate.

Bob reminded me that we could add another state to our map so we got that out of the way.

IMG_4251

Here's what our map looks like now.

IMG_4253

We did meet up with them again and visited until the sun was nearly down and air was getting chilly. They have another stop to make before Gillette so we'll see them when they arrive there.

No comments: