Thursday, June 19, 2008

6/19/08 We're Here In Estes Park w/WIFI!

We got up early this morning so we could get on the road because Bob said we had a long drive in front of us today.

We got right to work doing all we had to do in order to be road ready. I did take the time to take some pictures before we left.

I spotted this squirrel in the tree outside our kitchen window.

IMG_4140

He's waiting patiently for these guys to get done I think.

IMG_4142

Yep, I was right.

IMG_4144

It didn't take him long to make his move once the birds flew away.

IMG_4145

We were on the road by 8:30, just a half hour later than our planned time to vacate our site. Hey, it happens.

We got on I-25 heading north and had to deal with a LOT of traffic around Denver. WHY weren't those people at work?

We came up to the sign that said to get off I-25 for Estes Park. Bob was totally confused for some reason. It didn't take us long to figure out that he had in his mind that we were heading to Wyoming, not Estes Park. We made a reservation late yesterday afternoon for a site in Wyoming and that just seemed to stick in his mind. It didn't take long for us to get back on track and we missed our exit by only one. Who knows what would have happened if I hadn't read the sign out loud when I saw it. We could be in Wyoming right now and missed our time in this beautiful park altogether.

We did have some beautiful scenery, as usual, on the way here.

IMG_4146

We traveled through some BIG mountains, we are, after all, in the Colorado Rockies.

IMG_4147

We had our share of snow covered mountains in our view.

IMG_4149

We finally pulled into the campground where we'll be for the next five days. Spruce Lake Campground. Here are pictures of the views we have from our campsite. Some snow covered mountains....

IMG_4150

A pine tree covered mountain out back....

IMG_4151

This is what we see when we look out our door.

IMG_4152

We did have something unusual happen on the way here. I walked into the bedroom to put the slides out and found this. Hmmmm, what goes in this space?

IMG_4153

AHA! This is what belongs there!

IMG_4154

I forgot to put the bungee strap across the front of it to hold it in place! Luckily, it slid off the shelf and landed on the bed!

Its working fine! Whew!

IMG_4156

LaVon, this next picture is for you, I know how much you like clouds. I looked but I couldn't "see" anything in them.

IMG_4155

This campground has a STOCKED lake on it and that makes Bob a very happy camper. No license needed but a permit from the campground itself is required. There is also a small fast moving river close by so he might try that too. He wants to fish so badly.

Fishing! Its been a topic of conversation lately and I got to think about my own fishing experiences.

I don't know that I'll actually do any fishing, you see, when I fish its a lot of work for Bob. Let me explain. (Do you feel a "Snookie story" coming on here?) I had done fishing as a child on the Elk River in Maryland, very calm, very relaxed, Dad and Pop-Pop took good care of me. Then I met Bob and he was into surf fishing. Well of course I wanted to join in and do the fishing thing with my man! Here goes..... I don't "do" bait. I'm sorry, I just don't. I'm not touching worms, I'm not touching squid, ( eeewwwww) and I'm not touching a smaller fish to put on a hook. However, I will touch those rubber wiggly things. Ok, so Bob baits my hook. Bob is an excellent cast-er, he gets it waaayyyyy out there. On the other hand I suck at casting, hardly ever get it past the wash. So Bob baits my hook and casts for me. Now it seems that Bob can sit for hours and hours watching the tip of the pole stuck in a sand spike waiting for that hit. I can't. I bring a book. So he watches all the three poles, his two and my one. Ok, so Bob baits my hook, casts for me and when I get bored, watches my pole for the nibble. Ok, the fish are nibbling, I know this because Bob has been watching and tells me I have a bite. I DO pick up the pole and can "set" the hook. I can reel it in, well not all the way cause my arms get tired so Bob takes over. Ok, so Bob baits my hook, casts for me, watches for nibbles, informs me when it happens and helps me reel it in when my arms get tired. He does hand the pole back to me as the fish hits the wash and I bring it in the rest of the way.....grinning ear to ear all the while, after all I'm fishing and caught one! Ok, the fish is in, dangling over dry land and it will dangle till hell freezes over if Bob doesn't take it off the hook. I'm not touching that fish! (eeewwwww) So Bob takes the fish off for me. Ok, so Bob baits my hook, casts for me, watches for nibbles, helps me reel it in and takes the fish off. And of course its still early in the day so I want to catch another one! Therefore, Bob baits the hook....... Gee, I LOVE FISHING! I used to do the tournament thing with Bob, used to being the operative words here. They have silly rules in these tournaments. For instance, each tournament fisher must bait their own hook! OMG, how am I gonna get around this one? AHA! Doctor and nurse gloves! I have a friend who works in a doctors office and she would hook me up with a couple of pairs for the tournament season. Each fisherman must casts their own pole,,,,well, Bob would cast mine when no one was looking. Each fisherman must take their own fish off the pole....well, I never caught one during a tournament so that one didn't come into play for us. I don't do tournaments anymore, you have to get up too early.

So this pretty much was our day. Another moving day and I'm glad we're staying put for the next five.

After dinner we kicked back to relax after this day of travel.

3 comments:

LaVon Baker said...

I see the Michelin Man flapping his arms like he's trying to fly. Well.... I just do. Thanks for the pretty cloud picture.

Anonymous said...

You drove through the Big Thompson Canyon on your way to Estes Park. In July 1976, late melting snows flooded that canyon destroying homes and killing many people. Do you recall driving under the huge water pipe that crosses over the road high up in the air? That was wiped out by the flood. I have a friend whose father was killed; his lady friend was also killed - they found her body out near Greeley, about 90 miles away. Have a nice visit! Rocky Mountain National Park is there - it's beautiful. Barb

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding? Those clouds form a perfect angel sheep. He is lying down facing toward the right side of the picture as you look at it. I see his nose, this ear, his wings and his fluffy back end! Good job Snookie!