Wednesday, July 2, 2008

7/2/08 Escapade Day Four

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's a small world. I'll explain. Bob and I had to run downtown to pick up a few things and as we were passing a gas station I happened to look over and saw a SUV/trailer with Delaware tags. I pointed it out to Bob and he turned into the station so that I could have a few minutes with a Delawarean.

While he was parking the truck I went over to the lady sitting in the passenger seat and told her that we too were from Delaware and I asked her if she was going to the Escapade,,,figuring they were coming in late or something. She replied that no, they were just passing through and stopped for fuel. At that moment her husband came out of the store part of the station and she said, "Oh, here comes my husband now". I looked up and saw him walking across the lot and took notice of the hat he was wearing. Across the front it said, "Delaware Army National Guard and underneath that "Retired".

Now I'm really excited! Not just a Delawarean, but a Guardsman! I looked at him and thought to myself, gee, I know this guy! So I asked him his name. Well, when he told me you could have knocked me over with feather! I did in fact know him although I hadn't seen him in many years. For you Guard personnel reading this, it was Herb Wardell! He looked at me and said, "I know you too" but I knew he couldn't remember my name. I told him whose daughter I am since he and my dad go way back and he said right away, Snookie! Now who woulda thought? All the way out here in Wyoming and we run across somebody we know from back home just because we happened to be passing by when they were getting gas and I noticed the Delaware plate. Yep, its a small world. A really small world!

Day Four of the Escapade.

I went to a seminar today but it turned out to be not what I expected at all. I thought I was going to a Writing Workshop but instead was sitting in a class about publishing more than anything else. This is something that I'm just not interested in. I wanted instruction on how to write better. So much for that.

Bob went to a seminar too but came home and he too was disappointed. He said he felt like the instructors were there just to give information and then let everyone know that the products could be bought in the Market Place. This wasn't an infomercial class either.

Bob spent a little while with a pair of scissors cutting down the tallest weeds in our walkway from the steps to where the truck is parked. When we came in here the first day you couldn't help but notice that the fields where we're all parked hadn't been mowed in several weeks. The grass and weeds were very high. We were told that the CamPlex had trouble with their lawn mowing equipment so therefore the fields weren't cut. I think if I had been the CamPlex powers that be I would have called in every lawn service listed in the phone book and hired them to get the fields cut. It just would have been the right thing to do considering the money we paid to stay here.

Tonight's entertainment was Ham-O-Rama, a talent show. The Escapade Stars came out in force!

We had our own version of Minnie Pearl. This lady was a hoot! Sorry, I don't know her name.

IMG_4358

We had dancers!

The kids in attendance put on a show for us. They divided into two groups but only one group was named as you'll see in the pictures following.

This group was pretty much in step and knew what they were doing....

IMG_4356

however....

...this group, well, let's just say they weren't all on the same sheet of music. (on purpose I'm sure)

IMG_4357

Hence, their name. (Click to enlarge so you can read it)

IMG_4355

We had singers! (Again, click to enlarge)

IMG_4353 IMG_4369

IMG_4367 IMG_4371

We had duos! This couple sang "Those Were the Days" the All in Family theme song. Oh, did she sound like Edith! (I mean that in a nice way)

IMG_4370

Soon the show went to the dogs! The back-ground singers sang:

Do your ears hang low?
Do they wobble to and fro?
Can you tie them in a knot?
Can you tie them in a bow?
Can you throw them o'er your shoulder
like a continental soldier?
Do your ears hang low?

All the while these dogs had their ears tied in a knot and bow and flung over their shoulders. It was a fun skit!

IMG_4359 IMG_4360

Musicians were not to be left out. This lady not only played her flute but she made/built it also! What a sweet sound!

IMG_4362

The talent show ended with the adult line dancers dancing and then leading us in...

IMG_4364

YMCA!

IMG_4366

After all the dancing, singing, flute playing, poetic readings and dog show we all joined hands and sang God Bless America.

IMG_4373

A perfect ending to a perfect evening.

No comments: