Sunday, July 27, 2008

7/27/08 Back to the Old Neighborhood

After morning coffee/Pepsi and reading the Sunday paper we headed back to the old neighborhood where we lived for 26 years to visit our friends.

First stop was John and Ruby's. This couple is in their mid 80's and John and Bob were just the best of friends. Nearly everyday Bob would walk two doors down and sit outside with John, and most times Ruby, and while away an afternoon or early evening. The smile on their faces when they opened their door and saw us standing there was priceless! John has missed Bob very much even though some of the other neighborhood men have taken to sitting with them under the tree. We're just glad that others are helping them with things that Bob used to do for them.

After a half hour or so I walked up to the corner to see Cherin, another "original owner" in the neighborhood. There are only three left now on our street. She brought me up to date on the goings on and I thoroughly enjoyed our visit.

Next stop was Bev and Ed's. Our house was across the street from them and down one. Again big smiles/hugs when we arrived and it was so good to see them again.

Our house. Big changes, flowers gardens gone, fruit trees not taken care of, stained fence now painted white, no riot of color like I had every summer with my flowers,,,its just there. Bob had to keep reminding me that its THEIR house now to do what they want with. I know that it is but at least when that corner lot was ours with my colorful flowers on the both street sides it was pretty! Its so, so, vanilla now! Oh well, with the whole USA as our backyard my scenery is much better now and its changes all the time. I thought I would have "feelings" towards the house when I saw it. I didn't. Its a building. I do miss the living parts of it though...the flower/veggie gardens and trees. And I miss the neighbors. No that isn't right, I miss the FRIENDS we have there. We will go back again a time or two before we head back west.

We had a heck of thunder/lightning/rain storm this afternoon. I don't know how much rain got dumped on us but it was quite a bit and there were lots of lightning strikes!

Depending on the weather forecast, we may be heading down to the cottage in Maryland for the next three days. If so, I won't be able to post here because there isn't even any cell phone reception there, unless you walk to the top of the hill. I'll get caught up as soon as I can if that's the case.

1 comment:

LaVon Baker said...

The friends are the best part of any part of our lives. No one knows that better than us RVer's, huh?