Tuesday, August 24, 2010

8/24/2010 I Want IT To END!

I didn’t sleep last night. I am so tired. Mentally, physically, I just want this to be over.

I was at work and I find that if asked the most simple of questions,,,,Did you have a good time with your high school friends? Did Bob get off on his fishing trip ok?….I can burst into tears. Its because I’m exhausted.

Around ten I walked home to get my book and Bill and Donna were there. It was suggested I call Ocean RV for advice on what to do. I called and the man there told me that the insulation will take YEARS to dry out! YEARS! I’m not gonna be ready by Sunday for Bob to come home. After talking it over with Donna and Bill it was decided that it would be best if I called the insurance company. Damn, never a claim and now one in July and one in August. I am not a happy camper!

I get the insurance company on the phone and I got all emotional and cried through my explanation of why I was calling and the nice man says, “It will be ok, you called the right people, don’t cry, it will be ok, now Mrs. Quinn I’ll connect you with a claims representative.” Oh no, I had to tell this again.

I had a very kind lady on the phone and she said kept saying, “Go ahead, cry, get it out. I don’t know what’s wrong but it will be ok. I wish I could give you a hug right now”. I assured her I needed a hug right then. She asked for my number and I gave it to her and told her that the adjuster was to call ME….NOT BOB! She said she understood and that I wasn’t to worry, it will all be ok.

I went back to work and somehow managed to stay awake. About 3 Bob called to let me know how the fishing trip was going and what nice weather they were having, yada, yada, yada. As we were hanging up he said, “How’s it going there, everything ok?” Lying through my teeth I assured him that all was well.

Twenty minutes later my phone rang again and I was sure it was the Claims Adjuster. Darn, Bob again, he probably forgot to tell me something. I was hoping he wasn’t going to sign off with everything ok?

Here’s our conversation:

ME: Hellooooo!

Bob: Snook, I just a call from Progressive about a claim for water damage. I told her I didn’t know anything about it, do YOU?

ME: ****silence****

Bob: Snook, do we have water damage?

ME: *****silence****

Bob: (A little louder and a little sterner tone to his voice) SNOOK, DO WE HAVE WATER DAMAGE?????

me: uh, um, yeah.

BOB: WHAT HAPPENED?

Me: I told him.

BOB: We are F’ed!

Me: No we’re not, it will be ok….the carpets are dry, completely dry.

BOB: I CAN’T TALK TO YOU RIGHT NOW, I CAN’T TALK TO YOU, I CAN’T TALK TO YOU RIGHT NOW, I CAN’T TALK TO YOU.

Dial Tone.

Tears.

Sobbing.

Divorce Court?

Undertaker?

The insurance adjuster called me and I cried. I explained that Bob was away on a fishing trip and that I didn’t want to ruin his trip and she felt so bad for calling him first.

She listened to me tell the story AGAIN….and said to call Ocean RV to get an appointment with them to get everything fixed.

I went home and called. The first guy tells me they are making appointments three weeks out! I freaked!

I explained that this was a flooding situation, it was my HOME and that this was an emergency. He put the owner, Jeff, on the phone. We have known Jeff for quite some time and he said, “Snookie, tell me what happened. I did. He said for me to get under the rig and pull the access panels down and water would drain out a whole lot faster and it would let air up there which is a good thing. He said if the insulation can be pulled out, that was all the better.

IMG_5907 My hero, Bill, got every bit of insulation out of the belly of the rig and bottom sprang right back up where it belongs. I can’t tell you how many GALLONS of water I squeezed out of that insulation. Bill got a really good view of the flooring above and could not see any water marks at all. This is a good thing!

The little girl next door brought her wagon over so that I could load the bags of soaked insulation onto it to take to the dumpster. Her name? KATRINA! How ironic.

So now air is flowing freely under my rig, everything looks dry. Stanley Steemer is coming to clean and deodorize my carpets on Thursday and all is getting right with my world.

I’m glad Bob knows. It was like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders.

It’s gonna be ok….just as everyone said it would be.

After Bill got showered and changed and I treated them to dinner. Geez, it was the least I could do!

I am so thankful for these friends of ours. They had put their lives on hold to get me through these past few days. Blessed with good friends? You betcha!

Donna and Bill, you guys are the BEST! I am so thankful you are in my life!

But you know, now that I think about it, if YOU GUYS hadn’t come to visit this wouldn’t have happened! This is all YOUR FAULT! I would have turned the water on, walked back inside, filled my cup with the cuttings with the now running water and turned the faucet off!

12 comments:

BUD AND SHELLEY said...

oh snookie i feel your pain for sure!the girlfriends post was awesome. now when is bob coming home? huggs to you.

dreamjosie said...

OMG! Oh, Snookie. I so feel for you. I laughed, I cried. What an ordeal. And you having to take the burden all alone with Bob gone. Except for those awesome friends of yours. They're the best. Thanks for sharing.

Peggy & Bill said...

I hate to say that I kept reading & saying "Oh No" & then laughing. It hurts! I know how you feel. You try to be strong, but you still have to cry! Thank God we have such wonderful RV friends! There are no better helpers in the world. Always there when you need them! The best family ever.
By the way, I'm glad you got to enjoy your girl friend reunion Before your disaster. You would have been a basket case or you would have had to cancel. Timing was everything! And tell Bob - Women can solve problems while they are gone!! LOL Love Ya Girlfriend!

DeWayne and Joy said...

Note to Bob: Never underestimate the power of a woman.

Snookie, you came through like a champ, as usual. I wish it had not happened to you, but at least you have a sense of humor about it. And by sharing, you gave us all a chance to get a chuckle or two, even tho I wanted to cry for you at the same time. :)

Anonymous said...

My son did the same thing. The hose was frozen and he turned a faucet on and left. When the hose defrosted it flooded the motorhome. I have heard of this happening to several people. They hook up the water and don't go inside to check or kids leave a faucet on.

Martha

Karen and Al said...

Oh my gosh Snookie. You poor thing. I think the first thing I would have done was to call work and tell them I couldn't come in.

As a claim adjuster in my prior life, the first thing in a flood is to get the water out and then to de-humidify. There are companies that strictly handle water claims. One is "Serve Pro". They have offices everywhere. It would be paid from your insurance company. They (or a company like that) need to be called ASAP. They have very powerful water extraction devices and de-humidifiers. Ask your insurance adjuster about them. They are available 24 hours a day as they know how important it is to get the water dried asap.

Good luck to you. Please try to hang in there. It was an accident and that is why you pay for insurance. It will be resolved, and believe me, your feelings are completely normal.

HelenM said...

Snookie!!! What a story! By now, I hope you and your rig have recovered from your ordeal. How sad that you had to deal with this when he was gone; how wonderful that you have such great friends to drop everything and come to your assistance! Is Bob home, yet?

KarenInTheWoods said...

Oh my gosh Snookie! I started to read this aloud to Steve.... he even muted the Packer Game on tv to hear about it... on through all three days! As I read, all I could keep thinking was how much I wished we could have been there to help. You poor thing!

Here is hoping for dry sunny warm weather to take care of it ....

KarenInTheWoods said...

Oh my gosh Snookie! I started to read this aloud to Steve.... he even muted the Packer Game on tv to hear about it... on through all three days! As I read, all I could keep thinking was how much I wished we could have been there to help. You poor thing!

Here is hoping for dry sunny warm weather to take care of it ....

Unknown said...

Hi Snookie,
Geez you've been through it!
Sounds like everything will be ok though.
Hope Bob doesn't kill you.
Steve and Carol

Tracy said...

Snookie that was a complete nightmare.
It's bad enough to have that happen but then to handle it without your other half makes it a thousand times worse. My heart goes out to you.
Thank goodness for good friends.
You are a tough cookie Snookie!

Oh yeah, Bob will be ok.

LaVon Baker said...

Wow! You got some mileage out of this one, Girlfriend!

Thank You, Jesus, for Donna and Bill. It's all going to be ok.