Sunday, August 29, 2010

8/29/2010 Finally! I Get to Give IT to Her!

We left Wilmington pretty early this morning,,,that’s 9:30 in our life,,, because we’re having company today.

As expected, it was so hard to leave my parents. I knew it was useless to even try to keep the tears from flowing so I let them go and I could have filled a child’s small swimming pool I’m sure. I absolutely hate this part!

I wish I could be in this moment and look back over the past few months at the good times we had but I’m not made that way. I feel the pain of leaving and sorrow of missing them. When we get around the corner I’ll think about the good times and I’ll smile then but first I have to endure this. I think its normal.

An uneventful trip south to the beach got us home just a little while before our first guest arrived. Dianne was coming to see us. She came over on the Cape May/Lewes Ferry from New Jersey.

lewes ferry

I had called her while she was still en-route to see how close she was and she said she could see land but it was quite a bit in the distance yet. I thought this was ferry ride was taking an awful long time. Come to find out she was looking at New Jersey as she was floating away from it and had she looked out the other end she would have seen Lewes, Delaware a whole lot better because it was literally right in front of her. Oh Di and her senior moments!

I had a box to give Dianne when she arrived and after we got caught up and settled I gave it to her.

IMG_5927

When she flew in to meet us last year in Alaska, she had a left a few little things behind such as wash cloths, hairspray, tea mix, a towel, some souvenir brochures she wanted, some postcards she left behind and maybe one or two other things.

Now there was one thing in the box she had never seen before.

IMG_5928

A book. A book I made for her of her vacation with us. Its one of those Shutterfly books that you make online. She had no idea I had made this last February.

IMG_5929

If you remember from reading along with our trip last year, all Dianne wanted to see was a MOOSE! Well, she didn’t so I knew I had the title for the book.

IMG_5984

She was thrilled with it!

IMG_5930

She couldn’t wait to see what was inside….

IMG_5931

…..and I think she really liked how I started the book……

IMG_5985

I heard alot of “remember when we……” as she turned the pages.

IMG_5932

I put all the pictures I took while she was with us in the book. I wanted some of her pictures in the book too so I asked her to email a half dozen or so of her favorite pictures that she took while in Alaska. She sent me pictures of me and Bob that she had taken. I emailed her back and said, “Dianne, I wanted your favorite shots that you took.” and she replied, “I sent them to you.” Brings a tear to my eye all over again. So I added them to the book too plus a lot of others.

IMG_5987

IMG_5990

IMG_5991

IMG_5992

On the back cover I put some random shots and listed the the towns we toured.

IMG_5993

I was so happy to finally give this to her. She loved it just as I hoped she would.

Hmmm…since I picked the pictures, placed them, picked the background pages, wrote the captions, does this mean I’m published now?

It wasn’t long after and Bob’s oldest Tim arrived… looks to be very deep in thought about something doesn’t he?

IMG_5934

with his daughter Brianna……

IMG_5933

and Derek, Brianna’s brother.

IMG_5935

We had a nice visit with everyone and before we knew it the day was over and Dianne had a ferry to catch and Tim and kids had traffic to fight.

After dinner I went to see what tonight’s sunset was going to look like.

IMG_5938

IMG_5940

IMG_5941

GOODNIGHT SUN!

IMG_5942

A perfect ending to a pretty special day, wouldn’t you say?

1 comment:

LaVon Baker said...

You Rock!! That picture book was the coolest gift! What a wonderful idea. I know Diane will cherish it forever. Yep, you are published now. :-)