Friday, August 6, 2010

8/6/2010 Knock, Knock, Knock….

I had just gotten dressed from my shower, hair still wet and was coming downstairs when I heard, knock, knock, knock at the door. I couldn’t imagine who it was because I wasn’t expecting anyone. My first thought was it was a camper who needed something or wanted to “report” something.

I opened the door and said hello to the woman standing at the bottom of my steps. She didn’t say anything she just looked at me. It took all of two seconds for it to register who I was looking at. Lourie! I hadn’t seen Lourie in seven years, not since my 50th birthday party.

Lourie. We met in junior high school and by ninth grade we were best friends. We lived close to each other so we were constantly at each other’s houses, you never saw one without the other. If one of us got in trouble you can bet the other one was there too and we got into our fair share of (minor) trouble.

Yes, Lourie is her name but I seldom call her that. Her maiden name was Beamer and somehow along the line I had shortened that to “Beam” and for the most part that’s what I call her. Beam. Don’t YOU call her that. Her former husband tried that once and he was told in no uncertain terms to never call her that again! Only Snookie calls me that!

Beam and I have been through a lot together and have always, always been there for each other.

So she comes in and right behind her is Phil, her husband. And you know what? We picked up right where we left off seven years ago. Of course we’ve been in contact with each other since then, phone calls, email, she reads this to keep up with where I am and what we’re doing and we’re Facebook friends so I know what she does on a daily basis. It’s just the face to face we haven’t had.

Did I think to pick up the camera that was sitting on the table? No. Am I kickin’ myself? Oh yeah! Have I lost an opportunity to get a picture of us together? NO! Because this coming Friday (13th) we are getting together for the day with the third member of the trio that hung out in high school. We’ll be seeing Janice then and lots of pics will be taken!

I have been so lucky with the friends I have. I’ve heard people say about me that if Snookie is your friend, you have a friend for life. I have to agree with that, I think I’m a good friend, I’m honest with you even if it hurts and I’ll always have your back in that I’m there if you need me. I keep my really good friends forever hence my favorite term…..forever friend. HOWEVER, screw me over and I won’t give you the time of day.

They stayed for a couple of hours and I think we covered every subject under the sun.

It came time to say so long and after big hugs I was happy to wave them off knowing I would spend all day with my dear friends again before we leave here.

1 comment:

LaVon Baker said...

I know how you feel about the 'no picture' thing. I get so excited with seeing someone that I totally forget to take a picture. Grrrrr. So glad you will get a second chance.
Forever Friend.