Wednesday, September 8, 2010

9/8/2010 I HATE Spiders!

Bob didn’t hook up our sewer hose when we arrived yesterday so we used the campgrounds restrooms since we were practically next door.

We checked them out as soon as we arrived yesterday and since they were very clean we decided not to go through the bother of hooking up to sewer and having to dump….if you are an RV’er you know exactly where I’m comin’ from.

We woke early this morning and since we had plenty of time and I had a really bad case of bed head I decided to shower before we got on the road.

I gathered all I would need and was feeling pretty good as I walked to the short distance to the bath house. I got everything hung up, settled on the bench or placed in the shower. I got the water just how I wanted it and took notice of the shower head coming out of the wall. It was the perfect height for a seven year old. A child’s shower perhaps? Since I wasn’t actually in the shower yet I checked the one next to it. Same thing. And the one next to that was the same thing. How strange!

I had to practically kneel in order to get my hair wet for shampooing and when I turned around so that my back was to the water to get the back of my hair wet I saw it! Up in the corner at the ceiling. A SPIDER! It was watching me, I could tell. It felt MY blood run cold. It saw my eyes get big as saucers when I saw it. It smiled. I know it did. I hate spiders.

This nice leisurely hot shower was now going to be rushed. It’s hard to rinse in a child sized shower when you have to keep an eye on a spider to make sure it doesn’t move.

Soap in my eyes! NOOOOOO! Not now! I haven’t had soap in my eyes in FOREVER! I guess I was rushing too much since I was sharing my shower with an unwanted quest. Now you all know soap in the eyes means you involuntarily close your eyes. It can’t be helped. In addition it was taking forever to get the shampoo rinsed out. Did I use more shampoo than normal? Did I pour a cupful rather than a tablespoonful?

Finally, squeaky clean hair, soap gone from eyes, I open my eyes and immediately my gaze goes towards the corner of the shower up near the ceiling, GONE! It’s not there!!! (cue violin music from Pyscho!) My eyes dart from corner to corner, I can’t find it. I now have goose bumps the size of goose EGGS! It’s walking somewhere in my space! MY SPACE! Eight hairy legs walking towards me. I can hear them! One at time, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, each step closer.

I pick up my towel by the edge and shake it hard. IT may have friends that have nestled down in the downy soft folds of my Martha Stewart towel. OMG, what would Martha do????

I do a half assed toweling off. Its hard to get dressed because I’m still half wet and in such a hurry. I feel a drip from my hair run down my back and I’m convinced its the SPIDER! Once again, my blood runs cold and I do a full body shiver. My eyes are constantly looking all around me, I’m convinced IT not only walks loudly but can JUMP too!

I didn’t even bother pulling my socks on or taking the time for shoes even. I had to get out of there. If the truth be told I was out of there with my bra still in my hand!

I quickstepped back to the 5th wheel positive that if I looked behind me I would see IT running through the grass,,,,following me.

spider

(You have no idea what it took for me to even look for a picture then post it!)

I made it to safety and hurried Bob along to get on the road, I had to leave this state!

Safely in the truck, pulling out of the campground, I felt relief. Of course it was just then that I moved my foot and nudged the edge of a page of our map book which had fallen on the floor and it brushed against the back of my leg. I screamed! Bob slammed on the brakes thinking a runaway tractor trailer was coming right at us or something of that magnitude was happening. He didn’t get it when I explained about the map book page and spider, Sheesh,,,men!

So we had an uneventful rest of the trip. We’re going to Charlotte, Michigan to see our friends Marvin and Vi. This is a couple that we were next door neighbors with when we spent our first winter as fulltimers in Florida.

Before I get any further into this let me explain something about the pronunciation of Charlotte. If I had seen this written down I would immediately think of Charlotte, (shar-lit) North Carolina. Wouldn’t you? Uh-uh. Michigan pronounces it shar-LOT. Much like our hometown, Newark. In Jersey its New-irk but in Delaware its NewARK. I just wanted to get that cleared up, I don’t want you mispronouncing the places we are.

We had to go through Indiana to get to Michigan. All 17 miles of it. Including a pit stop for Bob we were in Indiana for a whopping 22 minutes!

IMG_6041

So we make it to Charlotte around two and our buddy Marvin is just tickled to death to see us. This man is 85 years YOUNG! Sharp as a tack, witty as can be and very with it as far as what's going on in the world today. Last winter season he towed his 5th wheel to Florida and he makes it in two days! It took us three days from Delaware to Michigan, half the distance!

IMG_6042

Bob and I could sit for hours and hours and listen to his stories of days gone by. He is so darn entertaining.

Vi isn’t at the house right now. She took a fall and is recuperating at their daughter’s house in another town. We’ll see her tomorrow.

Marvin had moved his 5th wheel out of its normal parking space and we pulled into it. This way we are close enough to the house that we can have water and electric. We get set up and go in to spend some quality time with our buddy.

IMG_6053

Just minutes after we get inside and are sitting at the kitchen table we heard this BEEP. Bob and I looked at Marvin and he said, “Don’t look at me, I’ve been hearing it all afternoon and can’t figure out what it is.” A short time later we heard it again. I can’t let this go I have to find it! I stood in another part of the kitchen to see if would sound louder and when it beeped again it sounded like it was coming from the other side of the room. I moved there. A few minutes later I heard it again and it was coming from where I was standing before. It was driving me crazy, where was this coming from? Marvin explained that he did the same thing but just couldn’t find it anywhere. Now all three of us are listening for it and trying to find it. I finally did figure it out. Marvin got a new phone the other day and his old one was beeping because the battery was low. It was on a shelf but hidden by other objects as he put it away because he got the new one. Mystery solved.

Marvin took us out to dinner as he now eats all his meals out since his wife isn’t there. We went to his favorite Chinese restaurant and we all had the buffet. What a good meal!

After dinner we took a short ride so we could see the main street in town and where he used to work and few other points of local interest. Read that as the Moose Club, the Eagles Club and the VFW where Marv spends some of his afternoon hours meeting with his friends.

After some TV, more conversation around the kitchen table, we called it a night. We have a busy day ahead of us tomorrow.

It’s wonderful to be here with our dear friend.

No comments: