Thursday, September 9, 2010

9/9/2010 A Grand Time with Marvin!

We left the house around nine this morning as we have to go Lansing with Marvin. He is dealing with daily trips to Lansing for radiation treatment for skin cancer. A sixty mile round trip for 2.5 minutes of radiation.

His treatment out of the way we went to breakfast. I don’t remember the name of the restaurant other than it started with the letter T. Somebody’s name if I’m not mistaken but not Tom’s. That I would remember.

The guys had biscuits and gravy and I had bacon and eggs and home fried potatoes. I don’t know why they are called that, they are made in a restaurant’s commercial kitchen. Just a thought I had.

After a leisurely breakfast Marvin took us to see Vi and to meet his daughter. I don’t know what town we were in as we were too busy talking to pay attention to road signs.

Vi is also dealing with a bit of dementia but we were happy to know that she knew who we were. At times she seemed to be not quite following along but then we would bring something up from our winter together four years ago and she would jump right in and bring up something to add to our conversation.

Their daughter, Desi (Desiree) is very nice and made Bob and I feel right at home.

Marvin and Vi…..

IMG_6044

After hour visit with Vi and Desi we headed back to Charlotte and Marvin gave us a more detailed tour of his town. Its a nice town of nine thousand residents and if it wasn’t for the fact that nearly everyone vacates this state in the winter time,,,,I could see living here. In Charlotte anyway.

Marv took us all over town and pointed out points of interest and told stories to go with them. By late afternoon we had seen everything Charlotte had to offer. I was dropped off at the nail salon so I could get my nails done and the men drove two blocks over to Marv’s Eagles Club for a beer or two. All done, we returned to Marv’s place so I could get a load of clothes in the washer and into the dryer before we went out to dinner.

At six we headed to the downtown area as I heard some ladies in the salon talking about a place called Eaton Place and I had mentioned it to Marv that they were raving about it. He agreed it was a good place and that’s where we would go to dinner.

We noticed that there seemed to be a lot of hustle and bustle about town and our host explained that this coming weekend is Pioneer Days in Charlotte. A fall festival over three days that includes a rodeo, a large parade, a car show, Art in the Park and lots of other activities for young and old alike. Bob and I both wished we could stick around to experience this but prior plans won’t allow.

At Eaton Place we had a ten minute wait for a table as it was quite crowded. I ordered a steak with broccoli and a very well stocked salad bar was included. Marv ordered liver and mushrooms which he thoroughly enjoyed ….yuck! Bob, well Bob ordered the special called the Chuckwagon. it was enough to feed three people and have them walk away stuffed! When his large oval plate came we all looked at it and were amazed at how much food there was! A rack of BBQ ribs, two LARGE BBQ Polish sausages, a half a chicken, a heaping serving of baked beans and two pieces of cornbread. There was no way he was going to eat all that. Our meals were delicious and cooked to perfection. I practically did a happy dance when I saw corn relish on the salad bar. I love corn relish and when I saw it I just knew it was made just the way I like it best. I was right and I enjoyed it so much.

After Bob put HALF his dinner in a to go box we strolled out front to see the classic cars brought in for the car show. We saw some beautifully restored muscle cars, some old, old motorcycles restored to like new condition and some wonderful vehicles from the 30’s 40’ and 50’s. They sure don’t make cars like they used to. There was one fire engine red 64 Chevy Impala that I would have loved to drive away in.

We headed back to the house and on the way we heard a motorcycle coming up behind us with loud pipes. As the driver got next to us the motorcycle slowed down and gave us a big smile. It was Desi! She had just picked up her new to her 800cc motorcycle! She met us back at the house.

Marvin couldn’t wait to get on it!

IMG_6045

Marvin had told us that he had owned and driven many a cycle back in the day.

IMG_6048

Do you see Bob?

IMG_6052

I look at the picture above and imagine Marv hears VROOOM, VROOOM.

We spent the rest of the evening with Marv watching TV and talking the night away. Too soon it was time to call it a night but we have to leave in the morning and Marv has his early morning treatment so it was time.

What a great day with a man we just love!

No comments: