Saturday, June 14, 2014

6/14/2014 All Kinds of Wildlife Abound

(Damascus, VA)

On the way down to the gatehouse today we saw a first.  This is a sizable snapping turtle.  We  aren’t positive but we think it (she?) was laying eggs.

IMG_8487
The workday wasn’t all that busy for either of us.  When I go to the gatehouse at two on a Saturday afternoon the majority of the campers are already here and at most I’ll see a lot of day use visitors leaving and dropping off their tags.  Bob doesn’t have a whole lot to do because the campers, for the most part, are still in their sites. 

When we got back to the campsite after Bob picked me up the first thing Bob pointed out as we were walking towards the door was this.

IMG_8489
Oh yuck!  As if this wasn’t enough Bob saved two more creepy crawly things to show me.

IMG_8493
Yep, another newt and a snake he found in he woodpile when a camper wanted to buy a bundle of wood.  I really didn’t see the need to “save” these for me, it must be a man thing.

Did I tell you we bought a boat?  Well a boat of sorts.  It can take an electric motor so its more than a raft.

IMG_8491
I can see a lot of Corps of Engineer parks in our future so that we make sure we get our money’s worth from this.  it has seats but they haven’t been put in as yet.  It’s really much bigger than what this picture portrays.

IMG_8492
Bob is looking forward to getting it on the lake here.  I’m also anxious for that because that means I’ll get some beach time and we all know I need that!

No comments: