Monday, January 19, 2009

1/19/09 A Surprise Visit!

Another beautiful day in the desert for us. Blue skies, warm temps, all is right with our world!

We had one busy day today in the Activities arena. I asked some members of the Red Team to go through the cabinets and drawers in the kitchen to take out stuff we haven't used, we'll never use and to just generally get rid of things that are doing no more than taking up space. This fantastic team went way beyond the call of duty. Not only did they empty every nook and cranny they washed down the inside and outsides of all the cabinets and drawers, washed every dish and utensil, every pot and pan and bleached the cutting boards. It took five of them all day to do the job but you can believe this kitchen is SPOTLESS! Everything is arranged according to its use, frequency of use and the best thing of all....things were found that none of us had ever seen before! There is lots more room now that the junk has been rid of. We laid all the things out that were still serviceable and wrote a sign that said FREE. It didn't take long for the things to find new homes.

While these five were busy, two other team members were busy in the office tending to ticket sales and answering questions about upcoming events.

This afternoon I had to go see my friend, Janet, who is co-chairing the Winter Olympics this year and we happen to live on the same street. As I'm getting to closer to our place I heard this voice yell, "Snookie Quinn, you better get back to work!" I looked up to see who that was coming from and I saw this woman standing there. My first reaction was, "Darn, who is that? I know her, but who is it?" I looked and looked and then it hit me! DeAnn! What a surprise to see her! She and her husband, Bruce, were the Activities Coordinators here last year.

IMG_6120

She said that she and Bruce were in South Dakota for the past few days, FREEZING and since they had a long weekend they decided to fly down before they went back home to Kansas to get warm. They were just loving this sunshine and warm temps! They both just looked wonderful and I was so happy to see them.

Note to Bruce: The picture I took of you turned out really, really good but unfortunately it wasn't one of DeAnn's best so I chose not to share it here. Just wanted you to know why your pic didn't make the cut buddy.

I would have loved to have spent more time with them but they had so many to see before they left and they were flying out tonight. I sure hope our paths cross again.

No comments: