Wednesday, January 21, 2009

1/21/09 Strawberry Night at Last

The team got busy first thing this morning baking the biscuits for tonight's Strawberry Shortcake Dessert Night.

Steve with one baking pan ready to go and waiting for the ones in the oven to get done.

IMG_6125

Can you just imagine sweet, sliced strawberries and whipped cream on these?

IMG_6122

Ann, a former restaurant owner/manager/chief cook/dishwasher showing off the beautiful biscuits the team is stockpiling. I have to tell you, I don't know what I would do without Ann, she really keeps me grounded when it comes time for buying food for a large dinner or party we're giving. She's gives such good advice and really knows her way around the kitchen. Besides all that, she is just so nice to be around. I am truly blessed to have team members like Ann and the others who are working with me this year. The best part,,,,Ann is coming back next year!

IMG_6124

Marlena mixing the whipping cream up. We had hoped to make our own whipped cream but we found it tasted kind of bland even with adding more vanilla and powdered sugar. Just to be safe, Ann and I made a run into town to buy the real whipped cream in the cans. It wasn't our plan but its what we had to do.

We planned on the Strawberry Night to start at promptly 7 pm even though the winter residents were lined up at 6:30. I just stayed out of the Cantina until 6:57 and it couldn't be started without me because I had the cash box.

We learned a lesson on this one. Sell tickets in advance! What we did was have a sign up sheet when we really should have just sold tickets in the week prior. I look at it this way, this is how we learn what works and what doesn't. I had taken the sign up sheet and marked everyone off on a printout Jeannie made for me by site #. This is made it so much easier to mark off the participants, asking for site number, rather than running the down sign up sheets with all that different handwriting. Out of 139 signed up, 21 didn't show for whatever reason. Had we sold tickets in advance we wouldn't care if they showed or not, well, we would have, you know what I mean. So we had some left over but we decided we'll sell it at Bingo tomorrow night.

We also had a Jam Session going on at the same time in the Carnaval Room. Winter residents from the park gathered on the stage and we had a few from a visiting park join in.

IMG_6131

We have some very talented musicians in this park! And songwriters! Wilf, far left, wrote a song about Don, the Peacock....again this year. Don is a harmonica player and Wilf's song was about his playing. I just have to get the words to it, its a riot!

Bill and Pat, Bill got this whole thing together, thank you Bill!

IMG_6128

IMG_6130

Tonight was a huge success for the Activities Team. We'll have another Jam Session and when Bill let's me know when, I'll be the second to know, he says, then we'll start planning our next dessert night. I'm thinking peach cobbler, perhaps ala' mode.

No comments: