Tuesday, April 14, 2009

4/14/2009 I Expected It to be Crystal Clear and BLUE!

Today we went to get our first glimpse of the ocean from the California Coast. I have seen the Pacific Ocean before from the shoreline of Hawaii and I expected the ocean to be crystal clear and blue like it is there. It isn't. It looks like the Atlantic Ocean as you see it from Rehoboth Beach. I'm disappointed. Big time.

We went down to Seal Beach to check out the area. The beach and what we think is Long Beach in the distance.

IMG_7665

Granted, the palm trees are a nice touch, the sand is more white than brown and the beaches are wide and clean....

IMG_7695

.....but the water isn't BLUE!

So we pull into the parking lot and see the sign that we have to pay. No problem, we need two dollars for two hours. Bob has a twenty in his hand and I have a five. It doesn't say anything about giving change so we did the smart thing and inserted the five dollar bill. Lights flashed and bells rang and out falls this.

IMG_7666

My first thought was tokens but they felt too heavy for mere tokens and then quarters went through my mind. Darn, I was ripped off! Of course upon closer inspection I saw that they were dollar coins.

You know, this blogging thing is going too far. I get change from a parking meter and feel a need to take a picture of it. Really,,,,what does that say? Is there a message in there somewhere? LaVon, I know you would do the same thing! What's happening to us?

Moving on....

We had heard about this pier from Treasa, one of our readers. She suggested we visit here and have lunch. Good advice Treasa,,,,THANKS!

This pier was destroyed in a bad storm back in January of 83. The townspeople got together and with the local businesses raised the money and had it rebuilt. We could see where it plays a big part in this town as there lots of people going for a stroll out on it, lots of people were fishing from it and the restaurant at the end of it was busy.

IMG_7667

Its in the process of being redone now. At night, after the pier closes, the old floor boards are taken up and being replaced with new ones.

IMG_7669

Off to the right of the pier is this little green oasis. The green just looks so good to these eyes that have seen nothing but shades of tan for the last six months!

IMG_7668

The surfers in their wet suits were out in force waiting for the "big one". One brave soul went into that 59 degree water bare skinned....NOT ME! That kid had to be cold!

IMG_7691

One of the surfers finally caught a wave, not a very big one, but I'm sure he was thrilled all the same.

IMG_7694

On our way to the restaurant we passed this pigeon.

IMG_7674

I don't know what it thinks its going to get out of this water fountain.

IMG_7675

We also passed this pelican. This bird had no fear! I'm really close to it as I take this picture.

IMG_7676

.....closer still.

IMG_7677

A view of the beach from the pier. Pretty empty this overcast day but I imagine it will be blanket to blanket come Memorial Day weekend.

IMG_7670

I wonder what the price tags on these homes beachfront home are.

IMG_7679

I caught this seagull flying overhead just before we went into the restaurant.

IMG_7673

We had lunch in Ruby's on Treasa's advice. She said we would have good burgers and she was right!

IMG_7678

What struck us first was that everything was either red or white inside.

IMG_7685

IMG_7686

IMG_7684

We both ordered burgers and fries and they were really, really good. Cooked to perfection and so tasty.

We could see the fisherman on the pier and they all seemed to catching fish so I'm sure Bob will be spending time on this pier and I'll get some beach time while we're here.

I've never seen such a big gumball machine...or one that looked like a gas pump!

IMG_7687

I would gladly tell anyone when they are in Seal Beach, California to......

IMG_7682

The pelican was still out there when we finished lunch so I got close enough for Bob to take my picture with it.

IMG_7688

Bob tried to pet it but he let us know he wanted no parts of that!

IMG_7689

I don't know what made me notice this as I stopped by the railing on the pier to look out. Maybe it moved or made a noise but notice it I did and of course I had to take a picture of it.

IMG_7693

I wonder how many years it took for these barnacles to get this thick on the pilings.

IMG_7681

Much too soon our time on the parking meter ran out and we had to go. On the way back to the base I got LaVon's dead tree picture. Nothing special about it except it leans and its dead.

IMG_7700

This is a tree we can see from our front steps. Those are heron nests and if you look dead center you can see a heron tending her babies.

IMG_7701

Another day in the lives of these full timers.

1 comment:

LaVon Baker said...

There is SO much I love about this post. The coins cracked me up. I appreciate and love the leaning dead tree... the wind blows a lot on the beach I guess. I love the heron on the nest in the DEAD tree. ... BUT... my absolute favorite picture is ... you posed with the pelican!!! That's so cool!! And I'm so jealous!!! :-)