Friday, April 3, 2009

4/3/2009 GLASS!

Better get prepared before you start this one. Its long!

We started the day with a road trip to Mesa Flea Market. We rode with Diane and Paul from Idaho Falls, Idaho and Kathy and Lyle (Nebraska)were riding with Dan and Bonnie. (Iowa)

We left the park around 10:30 and arrived in Mesa about an hour later. We went into this HUGE flea market and just walked up and down the aisles in search of some good buys.

IMG_7440

Anything you could want to buy, you can buy here. If they don't have it, you don't need it.

Bob was interested in finding a dash cover for the truck. Here is checking them out.

IMG_7439

They had one in the color we wanted and for our size truck. This cover will help protect the dash leather from the harsh Arizona sun.

I bought my very own set of Dominoes! I can't wait to hostess my first Monday afternoon game next fall!

IMG_7571

I didn't catch the whole story on these shirts but evidently they are soaked in red dirt (clay?) for their color.

IMG_7438

After two hours or so of browsing we all met up where we parted ways and climbed back into the trucks for a trip to Phoenix for lunch.

First choice was a German restaurant. Everyone seemed happy with that choice and then I asked if they thought they would serve hamburgers. On to the next choice. I felt bad and I'm sure they probably did serve hamburgers or I'm sure I would have found something on the menu I would have liked and eaten. Nah, probably not. So I'm a picky eater, I can't help it. Next choice? Ruby Tuesday's! Yes! I love Ruby Tuesday's! Yummy! A salad bar! We couldn't find it. We found the right shopping plaza, we saw the sign at the entrance but couldn't find the restaurant anywhere. On to choice three. Oh no, did I hear Greek food? Oh yuck! Everyone quickly agreed that was a great idea. I didn't voice an opinion because I was praying.....Please let them serve hamburgers, please let them serve hamburgers.

So in we march into My Big Fat Greek. My Big Fat Greek WHAT? I felt like half the name of the restaurant was left off the building. (Take note that Bob is holding his ball cap on. Its THAT windy!)

IMG_7442

So we go in and there are two other diners. What does THAT say? Well, it was after two so that probably explained why there was no lunch crowd rush.

Menus were given out and I started reading all kinds of things that I didn't have a clue what they were. I couldn't find HAMBURGER anywhere. Oh NO! Finally, Bonnie pointed out the hamburger section. As it turned out I wasn't the only one who ordered a hamburger. There was mine and two others. Good burgers too! So everyone was happy. Now I do have one complaint. I don't think much of Greek music. I don't know if they were playing Greece's top 40 or not, but if they were it doesn't have a good dance beat and I couldn't get any of the line dances to go with that music!

Lunch was done and we climbed back into the trucks, but not before plugging the next address into a GPS.

IMG_7444

And for some reason Lyle found it fitting to stick his tongue out at me again. He's gonna learn its just gonna take awhile.

We had four o'clock reservations for our next stop. We got there just on time.

IMG_7448

We are here for CHIHULY! (chi-hooly)

IMG_7453

Dear readers, I can see you now, saying Chihuly over and over to yourselves and trying to figure out what that is a picture of. Let me explain.

We went to the Desert Botanical Garden to see Chihuly: The Nature of Glass exhibit. Chihuly is the last name of the artist, Dale Chihuly who has been influential in the Studio Glass movement. Wow, I didn't even know there was a glass movement! Working in a unstructured, free form manner, the results of his efforts call for widespread admiration from a variety of viewers. One art historian called his work "liquid light". Even this untrained eye could appreciate that description.

When we walked into the garden this was the first glass sculpture, of many, that we saw. To say that the eight of us were WOW-ED would be an understatement. This is GLASS!

IMG_7451

IMG_7452

There were glass creations at every turn.

IMG_7450

Some have no explanation, they just are.

IMG_7454

A closer look.

IMG_7455

THE GIRLS get our picture taken. (l to r: Me, Bonnie, Diane, Kathy)

IMG_7457

And then it was THE BOYS turn. They made it quite clear that there would be no arms around each other or leaning close for their picture! (l to r: Bob, Lyle, Dan, Paul)

IMG_7458

These pieces reminded us of Christmas ornaments.

IMG_7461

Glass sculptures in every color of the rainbow.

IMG_7462

Another closeup.

IMG_7463

We couldn't figure out what these were or what they were supposed to resemble if anything but we did agree these were our least favorite of them all.

IMG_7464

This picture does not do the blue color of these next pieces justice. At all.

IMG_7465

Chihuly's work is included in more than 200 museum collections worldwide, including the Metorpolitan Museum of Art, the Smithsonian American Art Museum and the Victoria & Albert Museum in London. Some of the great botanical gardens of the world have also exhibited his work, gardens such as the New York Botanical Garden, the Royal Botanic Gardens and of course the Desert Botanical Gardens here in Phoenix. I don't know if this botanical garden compares with New York or the Royal....but it sounded good. His corporate installations include the famous ceiling sculpture at the Bellagio in Vegas.

There were real flowers to look at too. The desert is starting to bloom!

IMG_7467

Around every corner we were met with such vibrant colors.

IMG_7469

And then there's Lyle. Lyle who couldn't pass a cactus without touching it.

IMG_7470

I'm glad Lyle wasn't the one who had to set these glass sculptures in amongst the cactus. He'd be a pincushion for sure!

IMG_7472

The pieces came in all shapes and sizes.

IMG_7474

Some hung from the ceiling.

IMG_7476

These were especially pretty!

IMG_7477

IMG_7480

Some of the cactus were interesting to look at.

IMG_7481

And some Lyle just couldn't stop touching!

IMG_7482

Such pretty flowers amid sharp thorns!

IMG_7483

Even the rocks were glass!

IMG_7485

Kathy takes a break in a replica of a hut that the people of the desert from years gone by would have lived in.

IMG_7487

Bonnie makes a paintbrush from some straw looking things were displayed. I'll be getting MY next paint brush from Home Depot, thank you very much.

IMG_7489

IMG_7490

A walk through the desert garden.

IMG_7492

Our friend Lyle,,,,and not a cactus in sight!

IMG_7495

Do you see the fly?

IMG_7497

I don't know the name of these but we all thought they are pretty.

IMG_7501

We came to a new section and couldn't help but notice the sign for this area. We felt right at home.

IMG_7503

Brilliant reds...

IMG_7498

....and cool blues.

IMG_7504

Look at this monstrosity! As best we could tell, this is one plant.

IMG_7506

This squirrel walked around with no fear.

IMG_7509

And he was HUNGRY!

IMG_7511IMG_7513

He ate the whole darn thing!

IMG_7515

I had never seen a cactus like this before. Reminded of us brains.

IMG_7518

Lyle...DON'T TOUCH!

IMG_7520

Blooms just ready to burst!

IMG_7523

This is one tall cactus!

IMG_7528

IMG_7525

Glass balls of all colors.

IMG_7529

I can hear these three now, "What the hell is it?"

IMG_7533

Pretty flowers everywhere.

IMG_7535

IMG_7537

From this......

IMG_7543

....to THIS!

IMG_7544

More blue.

IMG_7545

This one is called Mexican Hat.

IMG_7549

Curlicues!

IMG_7551

As soon as we turned the corner and saw this one we all said, "Dishes!"

IMG_7553

I was in the wrong place to get the sun coming through the yellow in this sculpture, but I like the picture all the same.

IMG_7554

We're losing the light by now and lights are just starting to come on.

IMG_7559

IMG_7562

It's getting darker still....

IMG_7568

While waiting for it to get dark so we could take pictures with the sculptures all lit up we went into the gift shop. I saw a vase that I really liked that Mr. Chihuly made. It was perfect for my philodendron that needs repotting! But geez, they wanted $7,100.00 for it! I guess I'll get one at Walmart for it.

We didn't go through and take night time pictures after all. We tried a few but there were so many flashes going on that the pictures weren't what I thought they should be. Besides, we were tired.

IMG_7569

What an absolutely fantastic day this has been! Good buys, good food, good sights, GREAT friends!

1 comment:

ttprincess1226 said...

We saw the Chuihuly Glass at St Louis Botanical Gardens. Amazing, isn't it?