Sunday, April 26, 2009

4/26/2009 On the Road to Lompoc

We were on the road by ten this morning and we said farewell to Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station.

IMG_7771

We're heading north to Lompoc for the night where we'll stay in Vandenberg AFB.

On the way we saw the Goodyear Blimp. On the ground, a first for me. There were lots of people standing on the ground so I'm thinking it was probably getting ready to take off.

IMG_7772

We passed by the very busy LAX airport. I think there was as much traffic in the air as there was on the ground. On second thought....no way!

IMG_7776

The planes taxi right over the freeway.

IMG_7777

Heading north on the freeway gave us this scenery from time to time. Trust me, this is a lot better than the marsh you see from I-95 going through Delaware.

IMG_7783

Now hard could this commute be?

IMG_7784

Here we are going into a tunnel.

IMG_7786

And here we are .....coming out!

IMG_7787

Rolling hills of California.

IMG_7788

Remember these?

IMG_7792

I'm sorry to say this drive in is no longer operating, but the screen is still there.

Here we are several hours later pulling into Vandenberg AFB. We had to stop and open the door of the rig for the MP's but they didn't go inside or anything. I think they just wanted to make sure it was in fact a real RV and we weren't disguised terrorists. This is the first time we've been stopped like this.

IMG_7793

We spent the night in the John W. Sparks Memorial FamCamp.

IMG_7799

All set up for the night.

IMG_7800

We got a total of two TV stations here. I couldn't get any on the bedroom TV. I fell asleep to talk radio and was woken up at 4:30 a.m. to the sounds of Metallica! I didn't care for Metallica back in the day and I sure don't care for them at four thirty in the morning today!

We paid $19.00 a night for this gem of a spot. Actually, this was kinda, sorta a free night for us. You see, this morning I found $20.00 on the ground. Bob saw it first and asked me if I dropped money out of my pocket. I knew I didn't have any money in my pockets and asked him why. He said a folded bill just flew by down the street. Flying Money? Where? I'm on it! A pleasant surprise to find a folded twenty! There wasn't anyone out so it was finders keepers.

There seems to be a lot to do in the area according to the info sheets in the office. Speaking of the office, when I went in to register for the night I saw this philodendron. Diane in Idaho has mine for safe keeping since I can't take it to Canada. Note to Diane: When I get back mine I'd like mine to look like this! See what you can do.

IMG_7801

IMG_7802

Tomorrow we head to Monterey.

1 comment:

LaVon Baker said...

I learned something from you today. I always thought those vining plants were some variety of ivy, but it's philodendron.
Tonight, and for 3 days, we have wifi, many channels of cable, $25/day.
Beautiful drive you had by the ocean. I saw Lompoc on the map today and wondered what was there.