Monday, October 18, 2010

10/18/2010 We’ve Added a Whole Lot to the Workload

The 5th wheel was put in storage this morning, everything has found a place in the park model with the exception of one bag of little stuff. So that’s done.

Bob made yet another trip into town to pick up some parts he ordered and to stop in at the VFW to say hello to his friends there.

I took a bunch of books over to the library here in the park because frankly, I had so many I couldn’t find homes for them all. I’m sure some of them will still be on the shelves when I’m ready to read them. If not, I saw dozens more that I would like to read.

It was an absolutely gorgeous day here in Arizona. I think our high was 88 degrees with no humidity to speak of. It just doesn’t get any better than that.

The winter residents are really starting to come in now. More everyday are arriving. It won’t be long now and we’ll all be singing, “Hail, Hail the Gang’s All Here'

This afternoon Bob and I sat down and worked out a plan of improvements we want to make to the park model in the next two months. We’ll put new flooring in throughout, paint the interior with the exception of the ceilings and work on the landscaping. Quite a lot on our plate, wouldn’t you say? This will probably call for a trip to town tomorrow!

fall leaves

30 Days of Truth - Day 1 - Something You Hate About Yourself

Whoo boy! HATE is such a strong word, isn’t it? I have several things I don’t like about myself,,,,but HATE? I gave this a lot of thought and here’s what I came up with. I just know I’m going to get some emails on this one. Friends, save your keystrokes, anything you’ll tell me, I’ve already told myself, dozens hundreds of times.

I don’t take care of myself, medically speaking. What this means is that I don’t do what I’m supposed to do. I don’t get a physical every year, maybe once every five and that’s a big maybe. The doctor always wants blood work and that involves needles and I don’t do needles! Mammograms. Nope. Did one at 50 because my sister-in-law found out she had breast cancer. Did one again at 52 because a certain forever friend in lower, slower Delaware wouldn’t get off my ass about it. I haven’t been back and I have a reason for that. I won’t ever, EVER do chemotherapy. No way, no how, I just won’t do it and that seems to be the fixit drug for this. So why bother?

A GYN visit…..my folder in that office surely has cobwebs on it. Let’s just say I’m coming up on the 20th anniversary since my presence has graced that doorway.

I don’t take the pills I’m supposed to take. I should be on Lipitor but they make my joints ache and hurt so I stopped that.

Yes, its a conscious decision on my part. I was never a doctor person. I wasn’t taken to the doctor for every little sniffle and scrapped knee as a kid and with the exception of getting my tonsils out at 16 and my appendix out at 32 I have not been in the hospital.

Why this aversion to doctors? I can only relate it to a bad experience I had as a kid with a bout of tonsillitis and a rough and gruff family doctor that made a house call one night. Evidently he didn’t appreciate getting called out and took it out on my butt when he gave me that shot of penicillin. I will avoid a needle at all costs today because of that.

Am I sorry I don’t do the check-up things that I should? Today, no. A couple of years from now,,,perhaps. Fifteen years from now? Probably. Am I shaving years off my life? Most likely. Am I going to change? Uh-uh. Am I happy or proud of this? Nope.

But its my truth. After reading this through, I can now say, I HATE this about myself. I can also say it won’t change.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hate that I have a hard time saying "no".

Anonymous said...

Something I hate about myself... my weight!!

LaVon Baker said...

I am so right there with you on this one. I could have written this myself, all except the tonsils and appendectomy part. I've still got those parts.

Nelly said...

What I hate about myself is my extravagance. With a very good and stable job, I have no much saving and investment at all just because of my over spending. I want thing and that and everything. I sometimes consider it as an illness already because I wouldn't stop.

Tracy said...

I am right there with the weight issue. It has changed the way I feel and see everything. I had a complete hysterectomy and gained 50lbs in record time while on hormones. I thought when I went off the hormones the weight would come off. LOL! It doesn't matter how much I exercise or what I eat, the weight just doesn't come off. Depressing!

Anonymous said...

I hate what I did to my feet by wearing pointed toe, high heels for 45+ years. What was I thinking, I guess I wasn't...

Anonymous said...

I wish I weren't such a wuss and had gumption like Snookie.

DeWayne and Joy said...

I hate my inclination to withdraw from people and life in general at times. I know it's due to a life long battle with depression, but I haven't found a medication that works for me, so thanks to a loving husband and his encouragement, I have resolved to work with my doctor for a better solution.