Sunday, October 3, 2010

10/3/2010 Tucumcari…Tucumcari…Tucumcari

We’re settled into Tucumcari. I don’t know what it is about this town’s name but I sure like saying it!

Note to Lou….you are right, we sure don’t have to be worried about the campground being crowded. We are in fact in the Cactus RV Park.

IMG_6639

Business must be really slow in the town because the campground right before this one, oh wait, I can’t call these campgrounds, the parking lot just before this had the owner or an employee standing roadside waving RV’ers in. Like I said, its a parking lot but to its credit there were shrubs between sites.

We decided to get out and about and see what the area has to offer. Ahem. I think its been many a year since I was anywhere that the town actually shut down on Sunday. Even the restaurants! We weren’t sure if we were in a dying town or a dead town. Lo and behold, K-Mart was open!

So we took a ride and we found that murals are a big thing here. Oh by the way, did I mention that Main Street (I forget the real name of it) is also the Old Route 66. Yes, we’re back on the Mother Road again. 
 
IMG_6612

Getting back to the murals, back in ‘02 Doug and Sharon Quarles moved to Tucumcari. Doug was a sign painter by trade but that industry was changing and they too were ready for a change, to the point that they moved from Louisiana to New Mexico. Doug and Sharon’s first love? Murals! There are now 31 around town. We didn’t find them all but we did manage to find these.

IMG_6614

IMG_6621

A better look at the one above.

IMG_6618
IMG_6619

I wish I knew how long it took to do one of these.

IMG_6622

Three scenes in one.

IMG_6628

Here are the scenes individually.

IMG_6625

IMG_6626

IMG_6627

Yet another one.

IMG_6629

I chuckled when I saw the name of this one. it’s called, “Have you seen my horse?” (Or something very close to that)

IMG_6617

It’s said if you look at the one above, really look at it, you’ll find other things in it. I found a vacuum cleaner, a guitar and a leg/foot with a shoe on it and a couple of things I think i see but I’m not really positive, if that makes sense.
In our quest for more murals we found this. 
 
DUH! YA THINK?

IMG_6624

We tired of looking for murals and after a quick stop at home we went back out again because we found the local Elks Club in our travels.

We were welcomed with open arms into Tucumcari Elks Lodge # 1172. We were kicking ourselves that we didn’t think to look if Tucumcari had a lodge or not! This lodge has 8 RV sites and its $7.50 for the first night and second night is on them! I threw away thirty one bucks because I didn’t look for this first! Lesson learned!!!

IMG_6630

It’s an older lodge and I just don’t mean the building.

IMG_6632

The eight or so people we met could not have been friendlier. In fact Bob got into a one on one conversation with one fellow and after an hour or so came to find out the gentleman was the town Judge.

This lodge even has its own swimming pool and this is the first time I’ve seen this. Of course its closed for the season now but we heard the Lodge members use it A LOT!

IMG_6633

So brothers and sisters of Lodge 1172, thank you for being so welcoming to us and including Bob and I in your Sunday afternoon.

IMG_6635
The town didn’t really have much more to offer us in the way of entertainment. Well, yeah, we could have gone to the dinosaur museum but we decided to pass on this one. Just wait and see, somebody will write in now and tell us we missed a gem!

After dinner we see settled in for another weekly episode of Amazing Race.
Tomorrow we move on.

No comments: