Monday, October 4, 2010

10/4/2010 On the Way to Holloman AFB

We were up early this morning and it was a good thing we were as I’ll explain later.

We continued on Route 54 through New Mexico to Alamogordo. This is a section of this state that we haven’t been to yet. There are several towns nearby that we want to explore while we’re here in addition to some National sites.

Scenery on the way was mostly farm land. Crops or cows.

IMG_6644

Of course there were sections that didn’t seem able to support crops or cows!

IMG_6645

We were driving into a headwind which the going slower than usual and it sure sucked down the fuel! Taking into consideration road construction, a fuel stop and throw in a pit stop or two it took us five and a half hours to travel 230 miles.

We pulled into our next stop, Holloman Air Force Base and were concerned as soon as we pulled into the FamCamp. It looked FULL! We stopped at the Camp Host site and I went in search of someone to help us. We were relieved to find out there was one space left. One. We couldn’t have handpicked one any better! This one has a view, and a yard, if you will. Had we been twenty minutes later, there wouldn't have been a space available as that's how long it took for the next RV'er to drive in and back out.

IMG_6651

Our yard.

IMG_6647

Our view. The clouds make it especially dramatic.

IMG_6648

We’ve got plants to admire.

IMG_6650

IMG_6653

So we get all set up and I decide that I need to make a run to the Commissary. I’m out of Pepsi’s. >:>:>:> GASP <:<:<:< Of course today is Monday, commissaries are closed on Monday’s. I ran over to the BX (base exchange – department store) and found some cold ones there. All was right with my world.

After dinner the wind picked up big time and the rig was just rockin’ and rollin’. Pretty soon the thunder and lightning started and then here came the rain. I guess it just had to get it out of its system because once the storm passed all was calm again.

We’ll be here a week as there is lots to see and do in this area. I’m look forward to getting out and exploring.

2 comments:

Peggy & Bill said...

Finally got caught up on my reading again! Beautiful pictures, a lot of familiar territory. As I sit hear reading, I hear those fighter jets over our campground outside NAS Ocean Naval base every 5 minutes. But like trains, after awhile you don't hear them. My son says, It's the Sound of Freedom. I love to watch them just miss the tree tops over the trailer!

LaVon Baker said...

Great RV site! You'll be leaving there when we arrive in Waco.
Waiting for White Sands pictures, but mostly praying that Bob is feeling better.