Wednesday, February 6, 2013

2/6/2013 See ya Texas!

By eight we were pulling out of Fort Stockton on our way to Las Cruces, New Mexico.

I didn’t see this when we pulled into the Hilltop RV Park yesterday.  RV’ers, when stopping in Fort Stockton, this RV park will definitely fill your needs.  All pull thru sites and very well kept.

IMG_4603

I tried to find out who the sculptor was that did this or the history behind it to no avail.
We knew we were heading west because the overpasses and the cement support around bridges and ramps are starting to be decorative.

IMG_4605

Another telltale sign is this.

IMG_4606

I just don’t understand this.  Give 80, people will go 90.  With today’s fuel prices how can anyone even justify going this fast?  Who has to be somewhere in such a hurry?  Leave earlier!

When you see teepees as roadside shade covers for those who stop for lunch while on the road, well it’s a sure bet your out west.

IMG_4608

Long trains are another sure sign.

IMG_4607

Trains so long that they need multiple engines to have the power to pull.

IMG_4614

We finally made it all the way across Texas on I-10  all 879 miles, give or take a few tenths of a mile.

We were glad to see this state line sign.

IMG_4611

Our goal today was Las Cruces, but Bob was still willing to drive so we pushed forward to Lordsburg.

On the way we past this sign which really made us feel like we were getting where we want to be.

IMG_4613

Once again we crossed the Continental Divide.

IMG_4615

I remember learning all about the Continental Divide when I was in elementary school.  Probably in 5th grade when we studied the states.   Mr. Keller, my favorite all time teacher, probably explained what it is to us.  Of course when I saw the sign my mind was a complete blank.  Are you too wracking your brain right now as to what the Continental Divide is?  Or, do you remember like you learned it in class yesterday?   I went in search of the answer and turned to About.com in the Geography section.  Here’s what I found:

The Continental Divide in the Americas is the line that divides the flow of water between the Pacific Ocean and Atlantic Ocean. Rain or snow that drains on the east side of the Continental Divide flows toward the Atlantic Ocean while precipitation on the west side drains and flows toward the Pacific Ocean. (However, some rivers empty into the desert and don't end up in the oceans.)

The continental divide runs from northwestern Canada along the crest of the Rocky Mountains to New Mexico. Then, it follows the crest of Mexico's Sierra Madre Occidental. In South America, the Continental Divide lies along the Andes.

Every continent except for Antarctica has a continental divide.

Now we all know.

We pulled into Lordsburg late in the afternoon.  We pulled nearly 400 miles today.  We never, ever do that.  We also went to a KOA, something we try not to do because they are generally more expensive.  Now I’m wishing we didn’t pull into this KOA.  I don’t know if the fellow was having a bad day or what,but he was MISERABLE!  His answers to my questions about WIFI and pull thru sites were just plain sarcastic and mean.  Had it not been so late in the day and us being so tired, I would have asked Bob to drive on to find another place.  I absolutely hated giving this man our money but I knew Bob just didn’t have it in him to go any further.  As we were pulling away from the registration parking area,four more rigs came in, I hope the man behind the desk treated them better than he treated me.

It goes without saying we weren’t long out of bed tonight.

No comments: