Tuesday, June 1, 2010

5/31-6/1/2010 I Can’t Think Of a Title!

Monday brought a mass exodus out of the campground. The holiday weekend was over, the workplace was calling, the school desks were calling and the stay at home mom’s had a boatload of sandy laundry to do.

I worked in the Camp Store today and had a heck of a start. Lynn, who works the check-in booth went over to pick up the money pouches for today and when I opened mine to count and put into the register I found, in the way of change….QUARTERS! That’s it, quarters. With thing priced $1.98 or $3.99 or $.69….what was I supposed to with quarters? I got on the phone right away to let the main office know of what had happened and to request that someone bring me change as soon as possible. I was assured that someone would bring dimes, nickels and pennies just as soon as they could. Alrighty then!

My lack of change did not stop the customers coming in though. Luckily, most sales were for coffee and ice which are $1.50 and $2.00. I did run into one or two that should have had a penny change but before I could even say anything I was told to keep the change.

A half hour later I called again, they should have had change to me by now. I talked to the same young lady and she told me the phones were busy and they couldn’t leave. WHAT? I’m running a store here and you are worried about ringing phones? Trust me, they’ll call back. The “big boss” came in then and asked how things were going. I told him the problem I was having and he said yes, he knew and that the change should be here soon. I told him I had just called and was told they couldn’t leave the phones. He assured me change was coming. I just shook my head. I just had a hard time accepting that they expected me to run a store with no change.

About fifteen minutes later the change showed up. Dimes and nickels. NO pennies. The fellow did give me a bunch of pennies out of his car but that just didn’t work, I had a drawer to prove out at the end of the day.

The latter part of the day, after noon, it really slowed down but my co-worker Tom who was my ice man for the day helped me pass the time with interesting conversation and lots of laughs.

Bob and I like being here, we like what we are supposed to do and the bennies are excellent. However, we are baffled at the way things work around here. Bob and I need keys to different doors if we are to do our jobs. We are always using someone else’s because we can’t seem to get a set of keys. I have been assured by someone in the main office that she has keys for us. Unfortunately, she doesn’t bring them. We’re getting discouraged. It really isn’t a big deal but we are tired of having to depend on others. In Bob’s case, he would like to get an earlier start. The other guys like to start later in the morning but Bob wants to start at as soon as the quiet hours are over so he can do his job and get done for the day. After all, the fish are calling. Oh well, we’ll see what happens.

On Tuesday I was back in the store again, this time working with Linda as her ice (wo)man. The store was for all intent and purposes,,,,DEAD. We sold a few bags of ice, a loaf of bread, 3 quarts of milk and not much else. Oh candy and ice cream, they are big sellers.

I like working with Linda. We get along very well, we are the same age and just relate to each. I look forward to my days with her.

We had a later afternoon thunderstorm and when it was past and our dinner was done I walked over to the jetty just to enjoy the outdoors. The air smelled so clean after the storm and water was smooth as silk. There were many out walking around the enjoying the early evening. You have to know what this is leading up to. You just have to.

SUNSET PICTURES! Not many, just a few, not enough to make your eyes bleed.

IMG_5019

IMG_5021

IMG_5023

IMG_5025

IMG_5026

Now that wasn’t so bad was it?

Before I close this I want to tell you about two blogs that I’m following. One is The DALE'S TRAILS. This blog is being written by our friends Tommy and Tracy Dale. Left their home in mid March and are on their way to Alaska. They just crossed the border into Canada so it should be no problem at all catching up on this one. They have to rely on WIFI so she isn’t posting everyday. They got their motor home last year, took a few short trips in it and now this. I’m really enjoying their trip because they are bringing back so many memories of our trip last year. The blog is well written with lots of pics, I think you’ll enjoy going on the months long vacation with them. I talk with Tracy on the phone and I keep hearing, “There’s no way we can go back to our everyday life”. New full-timers joining the ranks maybe?

The other blog is THE BREEZE. DeWayne and Joy H. are just starting out on their full-timing adventure after a year’s delay due to medical problems. But they are on the road now, for four whole days as I type this and they are headed to none other than Delaware! Not too long ago they found this blog and we started emailing, answering what questions we could for them and we struck up a friendship. They’ll be staying just four miles down the road from us at the Bethany Beach Training Camp as DeWayne worked for the military and has use of the facilities as one of his bennies. Gotta love those benefits! So we’ll be meeting these new full timers in just a few days.

Check out their blogs, I think you’ll find some interesting reading.

3 comments:

DeWayne and Joy said...

I can't wait to see those sunsets! We're in Effingham, IL for the night and making tracks! Thanks for mentioning our blog, that was really sweet of you. I can't wait to meet you and Bob! Don't work too hard and here's hoping you get some keys soon....oh, and something besides quarters, lol.

LaVon Baker said...

How exciting to be meeting new friends!!

Those sunsets are even better than the Arizona sunsets, but only because there's water in them. Would love to be standing out on that jetty with you with my camera.

Tracy said...

Thanks for the plug Snookie!
Those sunsets are spectacular!