Thursday, June 17, 2010

6/17/2010 A Great Beach Day!

Joy, DeWayne and I spent another day at the beach. This time they came up to my beach. They arrived a little after one and we gathered all the beach essentials and started the short walk to the beach. No meters to feed quarters to here.

Within 10-12 minutes we were setting up chairs, DeWayne was twisting the umbrella pole in the sand and we were ready for some serious beach time. We weren’t the only ones on the beach, just the only ones in this area.

chairs on the beach

We had passed this fellow situated on the jetty painting and we took a walk over to see what his work in progress looked like.

IMG_5124

He’s painting the scene which is actually behind him. I would think it would be easier to just look up and over the easel rather than turning around to see the scene again,,,,but then again that’s why he’s the artist and I’m not.

It was quite breezy on the beach today but it was certainly a welcome breeze. I almost dread the times that are sure to come when the sun is blazing hot and the air is still.

We watched about a half dozen guys (boys/teens) skimboarding at the waters edge. The equipment used for this water sport is much like a surfboard only smaller. Maybe just a tad wider and half the size.

The object is to catch just the right amount of water left as a wave goes back out. These guys must know just what the good wave must be like because they’ll stand there and just watch and then all of sudden just take off.

IMG_5135

When just the right amount of water is there….

IMG_5137

ride the wave out….

IMG_5138

and then catch the next one coming in….

IMG_5139

ride it in till the board hits sand and do it all over again….and again…and again.

IMG_5140

Like me, Joy is seldom without her camera. Another joins our ranks LaVon!

IMG_5149

DeWayne and Joy, oceanside.

IMG_5155

It was a great afternoon on the beach and I finally thought to ask what time it was. I was surprised to find out it was quarter to six! I had to bid them farewell as I had dinner to make yet. I found out later they stayed till 6:30 before they called it a day.

After dinner I went in search of a sunset.

IMG_5158

IMG_5159

IMG_5160

What a great way to wind down the day.

IMG_5161

1 comment:

LaVon Baker said...

Hey Joy! Welcome to the 24/7 Lens Society! :-)