Wednesday, June 16, 2010

6/16/2010 Off to the Boardwalk We Go!

Today was chore day, clothes washing, cleaning, straightening up and generally putting things the way they should be.

I happen to look outside and saw Bob working ever so hard on something. I had to get a better look.

IMG_5083

What IS he doing????

IMG_5088

IMG_5086

Figure it out yet? See the fishin’ pole?

IMG_5084

He’s got a problem with the line on the reel so he’s unwinding but wants to keep it, yes, it was expensive fishin’ line and worth recycling.

IMG_5087

So he spliced the line and I held onto the little piece of wood and he reeled it back on. He’ll see tonight if it works or not.

Shortly after getting the fishin’ pole all straightened out he made a run to the bait store to get some….something. He came back with what he went for and something else new.

IMG_5089

The BIG fish have been running at night and of course its pitch black out there on the beach and when you have to do something with your hook, well, you just can’t see. Bob won’t have that problem anymore!

IMG_5090

(That bottom row of lights is just a reflection)

He’s all set now for night fishing.

After a dinner of BBQ sauce soaked ribs Bob settled in for a long nap so that he can fish all night and I went to Rehoboth Beach boardwalk with Joy and DeWayne.

Not wanting to deal with feeding the parking meters we parked a few blocks out and enjoyed the evening air as we walked to the boardwalk.

Of course I took notice of the flowers in bloom on the way and had to take a picture of this bush. I just love hydrangeas.

IMG_5091

I don’t know what this plant is but it caught my eye too.

IMG_5092

Thankfully, the boardwalk was not crowded at all. I can actually say it was pleasant being on the boardwalk with plenty of room for everyone.

Of course we saw the “sights” too. Now this fella has to be from Pennsylvania or New Jersey or even Maryland….a Delawarean just wouldn’t walk down the boardwalk with his whole being adorned with stuffed animals! Oh yeah, out-of-staters….no doubt!

IMG_5093

I don’t GET this. I’m not ever gonna GET it.

IMG_5106

What statement is being made? I wear boxer’s? Am I supposed to care? I so wanted to go up behind this guy and just pull them down.

First stop was to get something to eat for Joy and DeWayne. We stopped at Gus’ a boardwalk staple and hamburgers and fries were ordered. When asked if he wanted ketchup DeWayne replied in the affirmative. I soon set him straight on the eating of boardwalk fries. Boardwalk fries are eaten with malt vinegar, no ketchup is to ever touch a boardwalk fry. I even think its against the law here at the beach. They weren’t too sure if they were going to like vinegar on fries but it turns out they thought they were pretty tasty. By the way, I told them about Scrapple too and they like that too.

After their dinner DeWayne stuck to his normal routine and went for a walk. A one hour walk. He does this three times a day. Everyday! In the three years he’s been following this routine he has missed three walks, not three days, three walks. I can’t even imagine.

While he was walking the boards Joy and I went to Funland to take pictures.

Stuff animals waiting to be awarded to the winner of a boardwalk game.

IMG_5094

Rides in FunLand.

6162010  DE  Rehoboth

We watched this one horse racing game from start to finish.

At the gate…

IMG_5107

AND THEY’RE OFF! Each player has to roll a ball up the tilted alley and get into one of the holes at the top. Depending on the point amount determines how far your horse moves.

IMG_5108

IMG_5110

Of course the faster you roll the ball the faster your horse moves, some just didn’t understand the concept of this.

IMG_5111

This boy on the left was NOT happy! If looks could kill!

IMG_5112

And the winner had won twice before and got to trade in his two smaller prizes for yet a larger stuffed animal.

IMG_5113

A scene from the Boardwalk.

IMG_5117

World Delaware Famous Dolle’s Salt Water Taffy.

IMG_5118

After seeing all the sights on the Boardwalk we moved to the main drag and all the alley ways filled with shops, selling everything you could possibly need at the beach and then some. Jewelry, books, candy, popcorn, clothing, home furnishings, and everything in between. Need a treasure chest studded with shells that aren’t even native to these waters? You could get one!

Joy did some shopping as did DeWayne. I left my wallet at home by mistake and was glad I did.

By ten we had enough and it was time to head home.

Bob got up at midnight to go fishing and caught two 27 inch striped bass. The limit to keep stripers is 28 inches. Back into the ocean to grow some more they went. It was ok, he was thrilled to catch them and he was fine with releasing them. He made it home at 3:30 a.m..

Another fine day at the beach.

4 comments:

Karen and Al said...

Love the hydrangea pictures. Ours are all wilted from the heat.

LaVon Baker said...

That Bob cracks me up!! Love the lights.

Errr, excuse me, sir, but your shorts are falling off. PANTS ON THE GROUND!!!

KarenInTheWoods said...

Ohhhh what a smart guy to save all that fishing line! And that hat is a hoot!!! (but very handy I am told) Those hydrangea are just gorgeous, I think they are my favorite flower.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Karen and Steve
(Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

Tracy said...

Nice to see "my home beach". But I am not home sick yet.