Friday, June 4, 2010

6/4/2010 A Day Late & Dollar Short

Actually, that should read….10 Minutes Late and Minus a Camera.

Last night I was sitting two sites up talking with this couple, sitting at their picnic table, really enjoying myself. So much so that I didn’t pay any attention to the campers rushing past us with cameras in hand. Nor did I pay attention to the calls of “Hurry up, you’re going to miss it! Exclamations of WOW and OH MY GOD went in one ear and out the other. We were so engrossed in our conversation about Philadelphia sports teams that we were totally oblivious to what was going on around us. And then…..I looked to my right. The sky looked like it was on fire. It actually glowed. I stood up and my tablemates did the same but they still hadn’t seen it yet. I walked off their site to the roadway and looked back at them still standing by the picnic table and said, “I can’t believe we’re missing this!” I ran to the next street over to get an even better look and could have kicked myself for not having my camera with me. This sunset, this magnificent sunset, was nothing like I had ever seen before. In fact, I talked to one couple who also work in the campground and in the 5 years they’ve been here they said they had never seen anything like it either. I ran home to get the camera and by the time I got back to a vantage point to take a picture, it was all but gone. I was just sick.

IMG_5067

The sun was just one big orange ball. Hopefully, maybe, just maybe, this will happen again before summer is over and I’ll have my camera in hand.

A week or so ago I wrote about a Staples commercial on television that just grates on my nerves. Maybe you know it, one guy keeps yelling, WOW, THAT’S A LOW PRICE! It makes my skin crawl every time it comes on. The remote is usually firmly grasped by Bob so I don’t get the option of changing channels. Instead I spend the 90 seconds wishing ill will against this jerk of a commercial actor. I know, its not his fault and I can only hope that he realizes just how annoying he is….all the way to the bank. Well, I got a reply from Staples which totally surprised me. Here’s what Kim the Customer Service Supervisor wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding our commercial.

Staples is a highly customer-service oriented company and we take all our customers comments very seriously. We did not intend to offend anyone with this commercial and apologize for the inconvenience that this experience may have caused.

I have forwarded your comments to the Staples advertising team. Your feedback is very important to us. Please be assured that we will take customers comments into consideration when working on future campaigns.

Thank you for this opportunity to respond to your inquiry. I hope you will continue to look to Staples with confidence and satisfaction for all of your office supply needs. If you would like to contact one of our representatives, please reply to this email or call us at 800-333-3330.

Kim

Staples Customer Service Supervisor

It’s nice to know that somebody read my complaint but I saw the stupid commercial yesterday so they haven’t rushed out and stricken it from the airwaves. Not that I expected them to of course. But I can hope can’t I?

Tomorrow I do the reservation cards solo for the first time. I won’t have any problem doing it, I just hope it isn’t raining. Hmmmm…I better go find out the weather forecast.

3 comments:

ICE said...

Hey - I agree. It's a stupid commercial - but that's the intent, and obviously it works well 'on you,' lol.

We are a couple of days away and looking forward to seeing one of those sunsets.

DeWayne

DeWayne and Joy said...

Here's to no rain, no more annoying Staples commercials (I hate em too) and many more beautiful sunsets! But save a few for us, okay? See you in a coupla days!

Joy

p.s. DeWayne said he commented also but I can't see his comment yet, so I hope we haven't said the same thing, lol.

LaVon Baker said...

I sooooo agree with you regarding that commercial. Just grates on the nerves. Thanks for writing to them.

You know, I am thinking about getting a pocket camera just so I always have it with me for pictures like that. Our friend Joel did that because he said it was just too difficult to always carry his camera around his neck, especially when he is workamping.