Thursday, October 30, 2008

10/27-30/08 I Will Get Caught Up...I Will Get Caught Up

I'm determined to get this caught up TODAY!

What have we done this past week? Bob has been busy doing all kinds of stuff around the house. I can't tell you exactly what but I know tools have been involved because I've seen them laying around when I come home for lunch. I do know he got his bike road ready again as I noticed the pumped up tires. Mine are still flat but he will fix them if I promise to ride it. I did and I will.

One day he must have been in the cleaning mode because I came home at lunchtime and found all of the mini-blinds hanging from the ladder drying. Windows and screens were cleaned too! I am so lucky thankful when he takes care of things like that.

We had the first Activity that we had to cancel due to lack of participation. We had a Baked Potato/Dessert luncheon on the calendar for Tuesday but on Monday I had to pull the plug on it because only four people signed up for it. I think it was a good idea for a lunch menu and I'll reschedule it for later in the year. It will be cooler then and that may make a difference. While we're not in the triple digits any longer we haven't been out of the mid-90's either and I know Bob and I are eating lighter because of the heat. Its just too hot to eat!

I did have one thing happen this week and I have debated on whether or not to write about it here yet. I had made up my mind that I would wait another week or so but we all had such a good laugh over this I find that I can't wait any longer and I've got to tell you what I've been up to.

On Monday, on my way to the Activities Building, I was stopped three times and asked if I was OK. I answered in the affirmative each time with a cheerful, "I'm fine, how are you" and kept going. It didn't really strike me as odd because I happened to have had a lot on my mind as I was walking along and I guess because it is customary, or maybe its even a LAW, that you greet everyone you pass in a RV park that I heard their questions and even answered them, but didn't really HEAR what was being asked. Does that make sense?

Anyway, on Tuesday I walk into my line dancing session and Sandy, our instructor, points to me and says, "Snookie, are you ok?" I smiled and answered yes and continued on with the conversation I was having. Sandy then says, "See me after class". I nodded OK and walked over to take my place on the floor. Well, after class I had some Activities stuff to deal with and she was busy with people asking her questions and we never got together and I didn't think about it anymore until after dinner. As I sat on the porch I got to thinking about Sandy and then it all started to fall into place for me. I've been asked ALOT if I'm OK in the past two days. I had to find out what was going on.

I headed to Sandy and Carl's. I walked up to their place and when I knocked on the door I was ushered in with Sandy's arm around me and she started questioning me. Sandy: Are you OK Snook?

Me: Yeah, I'm fine.

Sandy: You're sure?

Me: Yeah, I'm fine.

Sandy: Are your parents OK?

Me: Yeah, last time I talked to them they were.....WHY? Why is everyone asking me if I'm OK?

Sandy: Well, I heard they asked for prayers for you in the church service on Sunday and everyone is wondering if you're OK.

NOW it all made sense! I started laughing. Sandy and Carl looked at me with a puzzled look on their faces and I explained to them what that was all about.

When I had attended church services the week prior the pastor had asked if anyone had any prayer requests. Several people had raised their hands and asked for prayers for loved ones and friends who were facing difficult times. I raised my hand and asked for prayers for myself. The following week, when I slept in too late to attend, the pastor's wife remembered me at prayer time but didn't explain WHY I was being prayed for.

So now I'll tell you why. As of today, Nov. 2, I have been a NON-SMOKER for three weeks! THREE WEEKS! I'm on the Chantix program and it works! Well, this time it is working. I tried this once before but I went back to smoking. I've always heard that you have to WANT to quit in order for these pills, or a patch, or hypnosis to work. I know, I've tried them all.

My dad has asked me to quit for him. Sorry Dad, I couldn't do it for you, I had to do it for ME, in my own time and the time is now.

For the most part I don't even think about it anymore unless someone asks me how I'm making out with it. I have even stopped taking the pills and I'm doing fine without them. Should I have a relapse I still have three weeks left to get me back on track but I really don't think I'll need them.

So there it is. While I don't feel comfortable saying I've QUIT, because after all I've been down this road before, I feel comfortable in thinking that I really have this time. I think I really have. Say a prayer for me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Snookie!! Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Snookie! Proud of you. Whitey and I stopped smoking 8 years ago; me with the help of the patch and Whitey cold turkey. I have had a half dozen cigarettes in the past 8 years--none consistently--but always go back to not smoking. Keep it up. You'll be surprised at how much better you'll feel. maw

skipandcindy said...

Snookie, Hooray for you!!!! Stick to it and tell Bob to get that bike fixed.

LaVon Baker said...

I am so incredibly proud and happy for you. It's God, Snookie! You knew you needed help, asked for prayer and He's answered your prayer and all our prayers. You are going to be just fine. I know your daddy is proud of you, too.

ttprincess1226 said...

Good job, Snookie! Keep up the good work. Bob and I are with you. It is week two for us as non-smokers. Say a prayer for us, too.

Peggy & Bill said...

You are not "OK", you are "SUPER"!! Keep up the great work. Bill says you can do it! You've started in the right direction, the best is yet to come!

Mrs. Monty said...

Congratulations, Snookie!! I'm sure you will do great. Jack and I both have been down this road so we know it isn't easy. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Way to go!! We are so proud of you!!