Friday, April 13, 2012

4/13/2012 We Visit Mustang Island

Before we actually got on the road this morning we had quite a show right outside our door. Here is our next door neighbor inciting a seagull feeding frenzy.


IMG_0939


IMG_0940


Our agenda today was to go to Mustang Island. This 18 mile long barrier island on the Gulf Coast stretches from Corpus Christi to Port Aransas.


IMG_0942


This island was first called Wild Horse due to the herds of grazing horses brought here in the 18th century by the Spanish settlers. The name was later changed to its present day Mustang Island.


We saw some beautiful homes on the way down and after much discussion Bob and I finally agreed that we would get off the road if one of the residents in one of the homes below wanted to leave and have us live there instead. It would be a sacrifice but we’d do it.


IMG_0943


I really don’t know what this picture below is of. I caught it out of the corner of my eye, picked my camera up, pointed and clicked. I don’t know if it’s the front of a business or what. I just don’t know but I thought it was….interesting. Perhaps someone familiar with Mustang Island can fill me in.


IMG_0944


We drove all the way to the northern end of the island until we got to Port Aransas. We saw some very nice RV parks along the way and filed this away for future consideration….when the wind dies down.


IMG_0945


These colorful houses caught my eye.


IMG_0946


We took some beach access roads in order to get a feel for what this barrier island is all about.


We really did appreciate the paved approaches to the beaches.


IMG_0947


Having never been here before we weren’t sure if this was normal, rough, high tide or low tide.


IMG_0948


What was quite evident is the un-ending line of seaweed.


IMG_0949


So I’m taking this picture of these shorebirds and I’m not paying any attention to what is going on overhead.


IMG_0955


Bob tapped gently on the horn of the truck to get my attention and he’s pointing to the sky. I looked up and there were five pelicans in perfect formation flying just mere feet above my head. I was so startled that they were so close that it never occurred to me to lift the camera and shoot. My chance to get one of those shots and I missed it. I was just sick!


I did get some pelican shots but none like what I missed!


IMG_0953


IMG_0960


IMG_0962


We even saw some cactus in bloom.


IMG_0967


It was a great day for a drive to the beach. And yes it made us that much more homesick.


We went down another beach access road and found some windsurfers.


IMG_0971


IMG_0972


These windsurfers were zipping back and forth so fast because of the brisk “breeze” coming off the Gulf.


Now this is what we thought we’d see more of during our time in Texas!


IMG_0977


After we got home Bob started watching the weather and we decided it might be best if we extended our stay a couple of more days instead of leaving tomorrow. The weather is taking a turn and its not lookin’ good.


No comments: