Wednesday, April 18, 2012

4/18/2012 Headin’ Towards New Orleans!

We were on the road just after nine again and todays destination is the Belle Chasse Naval Air Station just outside of New Orleans.


For those of you who are familiar with the Louisiana portion of I-10 just east of Texas, you will understand what I’m talking about. For those of you who haven’t traveled this road, I'll tell you about it. It’s a cement road. It has built in stress breaks every so many feet. It make you bounce. You bounce mile after mile after mile. It’s never ending. I was in a really good part of my book and I couldn’t hold it steady enough to read. I swear, if I was lactating, but the time we got here,,,I’d have butter!


And if that wasn’t bad enough, we had to go through a tunnel! I don’t like tunnels, especially tunnels that go underwater, in this case the Mississippi River.


IMG_1041


I am always afraid that the tunnel is going to break or spring a leak when I’m in the middle. I keep my eyes peeled for that comforting light at the end of the tunnel.


IMG_1042


We stopped to ask directions at one point because it seemed we were on this one road just a bit too long. Turns out we had less than five miles to go and we were doing fine. When I was walking out of the luncheonette where we stopped this one fella called out, “You’ll see a Blue Angels plane up on a pedestal, one of our Top Gun pilots landed it there.” Everyone laughed. Not having a clue what he was talking about I just smiled and thanked everyone again for their help.


When we arrived I had to chuckle because now I understood.


IMG_1043


We find the Famcamp, which is brand new by the way, with no trouble and take note that the Commissary and Navy Exchange are not much more than a stones throw away.


We got out of the truck and we were swarmed! It was like a black cloud, thousands of bugs that seemed to be hooked together. EVERYWHERE!


This is just a very small sampling of what landed on the 5th wheel in a matter of seconds.


IMG_1045


The fellow from Morale, Welfare and Recreation showed up and we’re swatting like crazy and he said, “Don’t worry, they don’t bite.” “What are they?”, I asked. He replied, “They’re LOVE BUGS!”


IMG_1046


We had heard of these nuisance bugs before but had never seen them. They land just everywhere.


IMG_1047


He said they fly in swarms and can be here one minute and gone the next. He said that birds wont eat them because the fluid or juice in them is acidic and the birds don’t like it. He said they only have one enemy and we asked what. In answer he pointed to the front of the rig and said, “That!”. Yep, dead love bugs.


IMG_1048


We also found out that this is Fleet Week. This means there are 3000 sailors in town. I don’t know if we picked the right week to be in New Orleans or not. It should be interesting.


When we arrived there was only two other rigs in the Famcamp. The view from our window.


IMG_1049


We are also close to the laundry room, again, brand new.


IMG_1050


The weather was just perfect this afternoon as we set up. Seventy six, not even a breeze which made us very happy and no humidity to speak of.


We can’t wait to go exploring!

No comments: