Saturday, April 26, 2014

4/26/2014 Our First Full Day in Virginia

(Beartree Campground, Damascus, VA)

It’s so quiet here that we had no problem sleeping in until 8 o’clock this morning.  Our loop isn’t open yet so the only ones here are us and our next door neighbors and co-camp hosts.

After breakfast there was no Internet so it was easy to get into doing something.   Bob started right in with getting us hooked up with our satellite.  After about 30 minutes we had TV!  Not all of our channels are showing up yet so we may to get a technician to come in and tweak for it us.

I started with giving our stove top a good cleaning and then moved on to the convection oven.  I was on such a roll that I moved to the fridge and got the shelf units on both doors all cleaned.  By this time I really started jones-ing for a FaceBook fix.

I gathered all of our towels together and Bob dropped me and two loads worth of towels off at the office where the washer and dryer are located.  Free laundry!  I also got to get online while I was there.  I had 159 emails waiting for me.  I was in heaven!

There is also a phone there that we can use and we get free local and long distance calling.  I was able to talk to my mom today and was going to call girlfriends but my phone was dead so I couldn’t get phone numbers.

This is the gate house/office where I’ll be spending my working hours.

IMG_8223
This is Edie, the park manager.  I’m going to like working with her. 

IMG_8222

I also got to meet another newbie to this park, Myra.  So far everyone is very nice and welcoming.  We still have more workampers to come and when they get here our hours will likely be cut.  Now that works for me!

Edie and I have decided that starting next Sunday we are going to start attending all the little churches in the area.  There is one where the services take place in a log church. I’m looking forward to that.  I think she said there about a half dozen so this will give me a chance to find the one I want to attend for the rest of the season.  I’ll know the one when I find it, it will just feel right.

Our site is really coming along.  Bob got all the bugs off the front of the rig today and gathered some downed limbs and kindling for our fire pit.  He has placed our solar lights all around so that we have lit walkways for the evenings.

There are these H-U-G-E  rhododendron bushes (trees?) everywhere in this campground.  They are just starting to set their buds and will bloom in June. This place is going to be spectacular looking and I can’t wait to take pictures.
 
Tomorrow I’m going to Bristol with Edie and her husband to Sam’s Club and Walmart and who knows where else.
 
Gotta go, Bob found a Phillie’s game on TV!

No comments: