Wednesday, March 26, 2008

3/22/08 The Rest of the Day

We made our way back to the park as we had two BBQ's to get ready for.

At 4 p.m. I made an appearance at the Workamper's BBQ that Jeannie Budd the Park Manager hosted. Still feeling pretty queasy I didn't eat anything. Besides, when I left here I was going to the Olympic Lane (what we call our street since so many of us won medals in the QR Olympics) farewell BBQ.

I stayed about an hour and as expected most of the talk I was engaged in had to do with the JUMP. I received lots of congratulations and a lot of "you're more stupid braver than me.

Now it was time to go home and party with our neighbors.

IMG_2409 src="http://lh6.google.com/SnookieQ/R-qg5efygFI/AAAAAAAAEXs/oxu1suCRYRE/IMG_2409_thumb.jpg" width=244 border=0>

Everyone brought their own meat to grill and a dish to share. As usual, we had tons of food. These people here sure know how to cook! We brought brats for Bob and a steak for me. We contributed Copper Penny Salad, a carrot dish which went over very well.

After all of our tummies were full the entertainment started. Wilf, our next door neighbor had written a song about Don. You all know Don by now, there's no need to explain who he is.

IMG_2410_1 src="http://lh3.google.com/SnookieQ/R-qg8ufygHI/AAAAAAAAEYE/prt603nNfqU/IMG_2410_1_thumb.jpg" width=244 border=0>

Wilf started singing his song about Don and I have to tell you we all thoroughly enjoyed it. I've typed the lyrics below and it is sung to the tune of the Beverly Hillbillies theme song. Let me explain one thing. Don bets a quarter on just about every event of competition he's in.

Come and listen to a story about a man named Don

Comes from southern Idaho where the bullshits mighty strong

I met him in a land where there's heat and lots of sun

A place in Arizona, a great place called Quail Run

Well the first thing he tells me is Wilf I am the man

At shooting and at ping pong I think I'm rather grand

I beat old Steve and Dale at shooting all the time

Cause I put some blanks in their box

And their quarters are all mine

Now ping pong is another game that Donny plays just fine

But neighbor Billy Turner kicks his ass most all the time

But Donny told me Willy wait till there's money on the line

The boy from northern Idaho will go down and the gold will be all mine

Now at pool he told me he was the tops and never did get beat

The Olympics are a comin' and all takers he'd defeat

But he met the man from Canada whose stick was pretty hot

So Donny was beaten badly, he was lucky to get a shot

But a finer man you will not meet from anywhere I know

He puts a smile on all of us and gives us quite a show

So when I leave this park and head north to Summerland

I'll miss the Peacock of the Park cause he is very grand!

Well, let me tell you, Wilf had to do several encores of this little ditty because we all just loved it!

Reactions to Wilf's song.

IMG_2412 src="http://lh5.google.com/SnookieQ/R-qhAOfygJI/AAAAAAAAEYc/1uAPIqSxH4w/IMG_2412_thumb.jpg" width=244 border=0>

Kathy, our neighbor brought out her laptop and I brought over the DVD of the JUMP and everyone watched it. I couldn't watch it all, the spinning part of the free fall is just too much for me. I'm still pretty queasy.

We lasted until dark and then things pretty much broke up and we all went home.

I called my parents to let them know what I had done that day. My dad wanted no part of it, it seems, because as soon as I told him he said, "Here's your mother, tell her". Mom said something to the effect of, "What are you, stupid?" I would love to have been a fly on the wall when we hung up to hear what they had to say to each other.

So there's my day. It's one I'll never ever forget. And one that I never expected to take 3 parts to tell about.

I hope you enjoyed living through the JUMP with me.

2 comments:

Queen of Retirement said...

GREAT JOB!! Thanks for the song. The words are perfect for Don and I can just hear everyone laughing. I can't believe you make Copper Penny Salad. I've used that recipe for 30 years and have never known anyone else to make it. You are definitely a girl after my own heart!

laughwithusblog said...

You are a crazy woman! :) I'm sure it would be an awesome experience since you LIVED! lol Thank you for sharing it with me!