Sunday, November 16, 2008

11/16/08 Our First Block Party

There wasn't a whole lot going on around here for the early part of the day. It was pretty quiet in the neighborhood.

This afternoon, Kim and I took a ride to the nearby outlet stores because one of the stores is closing down. Sadly, there seems to be a lot of that going on today. Koret, the first store we went to, still had clothes left but all they had were sizes 2 and 22 and very little in sizes that fall in between. Since I don't wear either of those sizes the trip was wasted for me. I kinda, sorta, knew that all the average sizes would be long gone since this the very last of their days open and I went with Kim just to have something to do and to spend some time with my new friend, therefore, I didn't even take any money with me.

We stopped in another store and I was very glad I didn't have any money or my bank card with me because I could have very easily spent several hundred dollars. I liked everything I picked up which is really saying something for me because I am definitely not a shopper! Shopping is not on my top one hundred things I like to do list. I did make a mental note to come back here again, with limited funds of course.

The third store we went to, Pfaltzgraff, I think I spelled that right, is where I hit the bonanza! I should begin this by telling you the store was packed! Both checkout lines had a minimum of 30 people waiting and each customer had a shopping cart filled to overflowing. Now these outlet stores aren't all that big to begin with so everyone felt like tinned sardines. Well, I started looking around at what was left on the shelves and was amazed at what this store carried. I don't know that I had ever been in one before but now that I was here I was very pleased with the 40 to 70% off the lowest marked price! One problem though, I didn't have any money with me. Yes, I knew when I got in the car that we were going to the outlet stores but remember, I wasn't expecting this! Oh how I wish I had money with me! Not that I wanted to buy anything for myself, I wanted to start buying stuff for the Valentine's Party we'll have in February. I had led a large raffle with lots of prizes last year and it went over very well and was a good money maker for us. I'm going to do it again this year and found several nice things that could be used for prizes that wouldn't cost us a lot of money to buy because of the deep discounts. I could see things were going fast and that I had better figure something out if I was going to take advantage of this situation. I gathered the things I wanted out of one aisle and went to another where there were large boxes of canister sets situated on the bottom shelf. Making sure no one was watching me I moved the boxes out of the way and put my stash way up against the wall and then placed the canister sets back in place. I did this with things I wanted out of each aisle. It was near closing time by now and most of the people were either in line, out of view, or had left the store. By the time I was done I had hidden eight things that I would come back for the next day. I was just hoping that no one would find my hiding place and take my treasures as I wouldn't get back here until after my hours in the Activities office were done.

Kim and I called it a day and it was just as well because Bob and I were due at a block party.

When we got home I found that Bob had forgotten about the block party and didn't even have a shower yet. I told him I was going on to the party and if he got ready to come on over.

It was in full swing when I arrived.

IMG_5482

IMG_5476

IMG_5479

I talked with Bonnie, above in red, and found out that she had also been to the outlet stores and just couldn't handle the crowd in the Pfaltzgraff store and was going back in the morning. I filed that bit of information away in the recesses of my mind.

Our good buddy Wilf and my friend Marlene smile for the camera.

IMG_5477

We had lots of good eats, naturally, at this party. Everyone brought something to share and it ranged from stuffed mushrooms to brownies, to cheese/cracker platters to chips and dips and everything in between.

As darkness descended upon us I walked home with Don and Billee from my street and called it a night. I found Bob in the same place I left him a couple of hours earlier. He missed a good one!

I watch Amazing Race every Sunday night and I think I've told you that one of the guys (Frat Boys) is from Delaware. He needs to go! Him and his fraternity brother need to come in last and call it a day! I've never seen twenty something's whine so much! Oh he's getting on my nerves! Maybe next week,,,,I'm hoping!

1 comment:

LaVon Baker said...

LOVE seeing pictures of familiar faces!! There's Billee, Janet, Wilf, Marlene!