Wednesday, January 24, 2007

12/28/06 Honeymoon Island

After morning chores Bob and I took off for Honeymoon Island and Caladesi Island State Park.

The pioneers called it Hog Island, but it became Honeymoon Isle in 1939 when a New York developer built 50 palm thatched bungalows for honeymooners. Today, visitors can drive across Dunedin Causeway to enjoy the sun drenched Gulf beaches, mangrove swamps, and tidal flats. Nature lovers will find osprey nests, a wide variety of shorebirds, and one of the few remaining virgin slash pine forests in South Florida. I read about the virgin slash pine forests on a sign there, I have no idea what they are. Actually, we didn't see any thatched roof bungalows either. I imagine since they were built in 1939 that at some point they were destroyed by a hurricane or just simply replaced by sturdier dwellings. Then again, maybe we didn't look in the right place.


BUT we did see the mangrove swamp on the ferry ride from Honeymoon Island to Caladesi Island State Park.

The ferry ride took us about 15 minutes to get to the island which is Caladesi Island State Park. First order of business was lunch! After burgers and fries it was time to start exploring. Here's a little of what we saw and a few facts about the island.

One of the few completely natural islands along Florida´s Gulf Coast, Caladesi´s white sand shores have been rated as one of the nation´s best beaches. The park is accessible only by private boat or ferry from Honeymoon Island State Park. I can certainly see where they get the boasting rights of being one of the nation's best beaches.







I could spend EVERYDAY here!







This next one was taken from the bridge that takes you over the dunes to the beach.



I spend a good amount of time while on the beach looking for shells. What I'm going to do with them is beyond me right now but a lot of people were doing it so I joined right in. There sure were a lot to choose from as this picture shows.








I was lucky enough to find a perfect sand dollar,,,,,but I broke it before I got it home.





Here's just another view of the island,,,,what's in the center of the island

No comments: