Thursday, January 4, 2007

November 12, 2006

Our last Sunday in this house that we STILL own. We're convinced now that it won't sell until spring, its getting too close to the holidays now. January and February aren't great home selling months according to everything we've heard. Bob and I are concerned that we're going to have to use our savings to make these mortgage payments. Not something we want to do but we'll have no choice.

About 9 a.m. I went out to the porch and saw Bob talking to our neighbor Sonny. I noticed him and his wife were dressed for church which means they'll be gone until evening. Still in my robe I slipped on a pair of shoes and went to say my "so longs". Sonny has been a great neighbor and we'll miss him.

While standing there I noticed this car driving by real slowly and watched it stop by the FOR SALE sign. I went over to the car and asked if he wanted to see the house. He said, "Sure". So clad in robe and docksiders I showed him around. He loved it! He offered me a check to hold it so we wouldn't sell it during that days open house. I asked if he was married and he said yes. I told him, "Not until your wife sees it". He assured me that he knew she would love it. I repeated myself, "Not until your wife sees it". He replied, "I'm going home to get her right now so don't sell this house!". One and a half hours later he was back, his wife in tow. She was there 10 minutes, looked at him and said, "I want this house!" HOORAY! The house is sold! Two hours later we had an offer, full price!

Sunday afternoon Tanya and I just hung out. Bob hooked up the 5th wheel to pull it out onto the street since it was going to rain. As he hooked up the 5th wheel lines from the truck I heard this yell and a long string of cuss words. I ran out thinking he had hurt himself. I soon found out that we missed something on our list things to do, the one that said....GET TRUCK INSPECTED. Oh no! Now a trip to the DMV will set our departure time back a little bit in the morning.

Sunday evening we had dinner at the Texas Road House with my parents, my uncle, Kenny and my brother and sister - in - law, Billy and Michelle. My mom was very smart - So longs said in a public place,,,,or so she thought.

Just before we were seated Bob nudged me and said, "Look who just came in". I looked but didn't recognize anyone. He pointed out a woman with her back to us but I didn't know who it was. When he said, "It's Sue" I walked over to her not really knowing who he meant. I touched the woman on the shoulder and when she turned around I got the surprise of my life. It was indeed Susan. Susan and I have been friends for the last 47 years. She now lives in Atlanta, Georgia. I knew she was coming "home" for a week from the last time we talked but we figured we would be on the road already and would miss each other. What a great surprise. Need I tell you there were misty eyes when she finished her dinner and came over to say "so long"?

Dinner went well with us being able to announce that the house is sold.

Now came the moment of truth, saying "so long" to family.

We stood outside the restaurant in a light rain and Kenny stepped up to the plate first. With promises of coming to see us in April we hugged and kissed and I cried.

Dad was next. After I love yous, lots of hugs and kisses we said "so long". I cried.
The hardest of all was next. How do you say "so long" to Mom? That's not to say its any easier to say so long to Dad, but all of you women readers know there is just such a special bond between mothers and daughters and we're no different. I think she told herself she wasn't going to cry, nice try Mom, it didn't work. We cried.

We didn't have to say goodbye to Billy and Michelle, after all, we'll see them in Florida on Thursday. Thank heavens for small favors.

So we made our way home for the final night in our little brick ranch house.

Tan came up and we spent several hours on the porch talking, laughing, crying and just sharing the time in silence for long moments, each of us in deep thought about how we'll deal with not being three doors away anymore.

No comments: